How to Make Plastic Look Fantastic- Clear Drawer Storage

$25

As a crafter I use a wide variety of supplies and tools and because I seldom throw anything out I require lots of storage options. For this project I'll be sharing an updated solution to my original problem that I experienced using those wheeled, plastic, drawer units.

Original Look

I don't think I even have to disclose what the issue with them is! I know, I know you can all see my mod podge and ribbons and so on...it's storage but not hidden storage!

First Solution

This was an earlier I post I shared here on Hometalk, back then I used construction paper and paper doilies as the labels. It was cute at the time and it served me well over the years as did the trolleys, but an update was needed to go with the craft room reno.

Tracing Template onto Vinyl

I popped off the top tray and traced the shape onto the back of vinyl flooring remnants, new flooring laid in my room gave me leftovers to put to great use!

Creating a Level Base

Since there's an indent in the tray, the vinyl would sink into that cavity so I raised it with just some scrap cardboard. That way the vinyl rested flat over the entire top and nobody would ever see the cardboard, that is except all of you Hometalkers but I know my secret is safe with you!

Double sided tape

To keep any edges from shifting or rising up I used a few snips of double sided tape, it worked perfectly!

Removable Wallpaper

Since anyone who enters my room would see the full side profile of the drawers I chose to cover each drawer side panel with removable wallpaper. It's very easy to use as its repositionable and you can trim after each piece is applied because the edges aren't visible when the drawers are put back in the unit.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Removable Wallpaper Drawer Fronts

The drawer fronts I simply went the easy route and recovered the construction paper that was already there, my husband always says, "work smarter, not harder." Since the panels were already custom cut and fitted I used those as my template to adhere the wallpaper onto.

Cutting Office Label

I now had all of my goodies hidden but how would I easily find them all when I needed them? Labels! I cut larger address labels into narrow strips so they would be able to go on the narrow pull part of the drawer and although visible they wouldn't be distracting.

Stamping Office Label

Using my rubber stamp set I'd spell out the word first on the cutting pad and decide on centering the placement before I inked and stamped.

Closeup Label Placement

So here you'll see where I affixed the labels, they are clear to read and easy to swap out if the contents inside ever change.

Emptying and Refilling Storage Unit

One by one I removed the contents and the front panel to complete the update and as I refilled the drawers I purged and tidied the stashes.

Final Look

They are once more concealing the contents and are easy on the eyes, oh yeah and easy on the budget! I think you are all going to look at your drawer storage a little differently from now on after seeing the potential that plastic has to become fantastic! Another project addressing plastic storage solutions is shared in the link below if you are looking to upgrade what you may already have.

*Cost doesn't reflect storage drawers because I already owned them.

25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/44388553/how-to-dress-up-plastic-utility-storage-stands

• Erica Martin
    Erica Martin

I love the idea, but my storage drawers have indentations in them. How could I stick the vinyl flooring to them?

• CJ
    CJ

Wonderful job! You had the storage you needed and gave it a makeover with what you had on hand to get the look you wanted AND the makeover can be removed and replaced if or when you choose! Very creative!

I have never known what to do about that recessed top and you found a terrific solution for that as well! Is that roll vinyl flooring you used?

• CJ
      CJ

Thank you for an alternate idea as well!

• Dana
    Dana

I'm so excited. I down sized in housing and have no storage space. Have purchased plastic drawers which are now filled. Your idea is fabulous and this non crafty woman is going to do crafts! Thank you for that great idea.

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives
      Skilled Thrifty Creatives

I'm now in turn so excited for you, music to my ears that I was able to spark an idea for you too! I awakened the inner crafter in you, haha, thank you and you are very welcome!

• Lisa Quarles Pearman
    Lisa Quarles Pearman
    23 minutes ago

This is such a great way to fancy up those plastic storage drawer units! Great job! I will be doing this in my crafting she shed.

• That sounds so dreamy to me...a she shed I bet its your favourite place to go hang out! Thank you and know that I am envious, enjoy my friend!