Garden Bunny

$5

I love Spring! I also love items typically found outside like statues, used inside for decorating. I found one I loved but whoa was it expensive! So..I achieved the look with a thrift store find.

Here's my little $3 thrift find. Poor bunny even had a couple chips.

First I used Retique It primer. It clings on to any surface and prepares it for paint. Even shiny pieces like this one.

A thin coat is all you need! A little bit goes a long way. Let dry. It will only take a couple minutes.

Take a small amount of your base color paint (I used Retique It Graystone) and add a little bit of Plaster of Paris. I used 2 tbs. Paint to 1 teaspoon of plaster.

Mix well and add a little water if too thick. It should be like brownie batter consistency.

Pat paint mixture all over. This will give it texture.

Let dry throughly. I waited an hour.

Apply your next paint color. I used Retique It Ultratique Paint in Snow. I like that it has the sealer built in.

Again...let dry.

The next step you can do as much or as little as you want. I took a sponge sander and sanded the whole piece. Be gentle, but rub enough to see your base color come through. Just like aged plaster.

Isn't it cute? I want to do the same look on plastic pots for my flowers. I will use an outdoor sealer for those.

I'm going to hit the thrift store again to make more! Once you have the supplies..each project is very inexpensive since you use so little.

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures
    Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Isnt that retique it stuff more of a liquid wood than a bonding primer? I know its stainable, I'm just curious about how well it will stick long term

• Roberta
      Roberta

This is their primer..it's different than liquid wood. I tried scratching it off with my nails and it's there for the long haul. 🤣

• Gin
    Gin

What kind of paint was used on the original before the make over. I have big butterflies I would like to paint with the shiny paint and place on a wall outside