DIY Knock-Off Ribbon Plumes

4 materials
$10

Some of my favorite crafting projects have been done with ribbon! I work with ribbon all the time and the worst part about it is the fraying that might happen. There are several methods that you can use to stop ribbon from fraying or unraveling, but what if you actually want it to unravel! That's right! This is all about unraveling ribbon to make beautiful plumes - a great way to "knock-off" a pampas grass design I saw on Crate and Barrel! Don't you just love figuring out how to re-create something you saw in a high-end shop?

But unraveling ribbon isn't all that easy. The trick is finding those threads that are continuous on the ribbon and unwinds it all. And it can be tricky because all ribbons are not created equal. There're the ones where you can find that particular thread - like here: You simply start pulling the threads on the end and suddenly it's starts to unravel - the thread coming off - going back and forth - unraveling the ribbon!

And then there's the other kind of ribbon where no matter how hard you try, the one thread that's suppose to be holding it all together just doesn't exist. And I think it has something to do with the quality of the ribbon and how it's made. That's the type of ribbon I'm using to make a few plumes.

Let's begin by cutting about thirty, 5" ribbon strips to make one plume.

Next add double sided tape to one of the short end edges. Do this for all the ribbon strips.

After adding the double sided tape, cut the side edges, sometimes called the welting, off of the ribbon strips.

Then start removing the fray threads from the end. Use the tip end of a large safety pin to scrape the fraying threads off to reveal soft silk-like fibers. I like using a small cutting board as a work surface to scrape the ribbon. It's nice and sturdy and seems to make it all work better.

Use a small brush to help remove the gathered loose threads that bunch up from scraping the ribbon. . .

creating a nice smooth silky fringed piece. It took me about four minutes to get it to look like this. Imagine doing thirty of these - it can be very time consuming! So take a seat in front of the tv and binge watch a good movie or series! Better yet, listen to some good music to make it all go quicker!

To add the ribbon fringe to the stem wire to create the plume, remove the backing from the double-sided tape and . . .

place the tip of the wire on the edge of the tape and . . .

begin rolling the ribbon fringe around the wire stem . . .

until the ribbon fringe is secured around and onto the wire stem. Isn't this beginning to look fabulous!

Continue adding the ribbon fringes to the stem wire, staggering the tape slightly below the previous ribbon fringe.

Adding each fringe one - one by one.

To make a beautiful plume!

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

4 of 28 comments
Next