Create & Decorate With Cement Containers

$20

I wanted to play with cement. This is my first attempt of concrete creating.

Make sure you get a bag of the finest cement. I found this bag of cement at Home Depot. I used Portland 1-11.

I picked these containers up awhile ago at Dollar General. I recommend squares or circles in multiple sizes. Plastic worked perfectly in this project. You will need two pieces per bowl. One for the outside and one to make an insert for the inside. In my case I will be using six of them.

You need to have vegetable oil and paper towels. I put a thin layer in all six of the insides of the containers that I will be using.

Then I put a thin layer of oil on the outsides. Try not to miss an area. This will make for a smooth release.

Now, grab your 5 gallon bucket and mix concrete with water according to the cement directions. I did a third of the bucket with cement and added water and used a thick wood painter stirrer. I would recommend for the next one to use an eclectic drill with paint stirrer attachment.

it takes muscle my way.

Also, I want to note to place something on the ground like a drop cloth, Bisquine, or old tablecloth. Dollartree has plastic ones that can be thrown out after.

Time to put the cement into the bowl. I used a plastic cup and scooped it out. I filled it up about half way up.

I took one of the smaller containers and set it in the center.

I wanted to make sure it set perfectly but not all the way to the bottom. I used rocks to hold it in place. Continued to do this with the other pieces.

Here they are all ready for the drying time. I left them out to dry overnight.

The next morning I removed the bowls from each of them. You can see that they are half dried so need to set out for another day.

I ended up letting them dry completely for a total of 3 days. You may need longer depending on your climate where you live.

They can be decorated with just about anything.

I hope you enjoyed my take on cement bowls. If I missed anything please just ask.

IG Dreamoakdecor

16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers

• Judy
    Judy

Could different colors of paint in the cement mix to get different colors?

• Tammy Schram/Dreamoakdecor
      Tammy Schram/Dreamoakdecor

You definitely can add latex paint to cement. Just be careful to limit the amount of paint. I would mix the paint in the water you add to the cement.

• Virginia
    Virginia

Can you keep/use these cement bowls outside in the weather? Or would rain/snow ruin them?

• Virginia
      Virginia

Sounds good thank you. In Canada we'd be dealing with rain, and of course the snow for half the year. I'll definitely seal them.