Birch Tree & Dollar Tree Scented Diffuser

$3

Here is perhaps one of the easiest ways to make a scented diffuser using twigs, diffuser reeds and a fragrance oil. It brings nature into your home and adds a hint of scent as well as being a home decor piece.

Finished diffuser

I started by gathering some twigs off my birch trees.

Birch tree

Select some twigs you either find, buy or cut. I used birch twigs because those are what I had in my backyard. I’ve also gathered fallen twigs from parks and on my daily walks which would also work.

Fresh birch twigs

Since these twigs were freshly cut, I needed to remove the foliage. Super easy. Just start at the bottom, squeeze the twig as you work your way up the twig to strip them.

Stripping twigs

Since these were fresh twigs, I needed to let them dry out before using them. I bundled my stripped twigs together to let dry outside.

Twigs drying

Once my twigs were dry, I undid the bundle and stuck them into a small ceramic vase I bought at Dollar Tree. Any small opaque vase will do.

Be sure you use dry twigs

I added my fragrance oil to the vase I purchased at Dollar Tree. I stuck the dried twigs into the vase and added some short diffuser reeds I’d purchased online. I am not sure if the real twigs would wick up the scent, so added the reeds and tucked them in the vase. PS: Do not use water in your vase as it will cause your twigs to mold.

Adding fragrance oil

Below are the reeds I hid in the vase to act as wicks. I just arranged the twigs the way I wanted and had a cute little air diffuser to use in my home.

Diffuser reeds

Once it was all assembled, I put it up on my mantle and two others in my bathroom. Simple way to have natural looking air diffuser/ home decor items. Aside from the drying time of the twigs, this was a 5 minute project. These also make cute decorations/favors for wedding tables at each guest’s seat.

A little nature inside

Happy crafting. The cost to make one of these is about $3. If you liked this post, be sure to check out my other posts for more easy ideas. Thanks for viewing.

Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!

• Diana Runs with Scissors
    Diana Runs with Scissors

Did you find out whether or not the twigs also diffuse the scented oil?

• My branches did not act as wicks. I’d tried making diffusers before using shush kabob skewers and they didn’t wick. I’d stick with the reeds meant to be used with oils for the actual diffusing part. You might be able to apply essential oils directly to your twigs and then reapply once the scent fades. I know you can refresh potpourri that way. I haven’t tried that though. Hope this helps.

• Cati
    Cati

If you put in water and it will mold the birch twigs, won’t the oil do the same thing. Thanks

• Hi. Good question. I haven’t had issues with the fragrance oil or essential oils causing mold, but I also haven’t had them sitting in vases very long. You could actually put the diffuser reeds all the way into the oil and put the twigs up a bit higher so they aren’t in the oil. You’d have to bundle and tie the twigs together so that the rope or rubber-band would act as a stopper to keep branches from reaching the oil. If you are concerned about it possibly molding, I’d skip putting oils in the vase and just use the twigs in the vase as decor. Hope this helps.

• Kayelily Middleton
    Kayelily Middleton

Just be careful with diffusers if you have pets. Many essential oils can be poison to them, in particular Tea-tree Oil. I just saw a long list on social media somewhere.