Imagine the Elevated Chest

$50

I love brown, boring furniture. Especially great bargains with interesting bones. I snagged this beauty for $30 on line. A forty minute trip to and from and I was already trying to imagine what this creature could look like.

This squat three drawer chest had a marble top and brass pulls in great condition. I cleaned it with windex and took the hardware off. My thought was this needed to be higher. Looking through my stash of bits and pieces I came up with four legs that fit perfectly. To add the legs, I needed to add several pieces of 1X4 wood to mount them on the bottom corners of the chest. I then used three inch screws to mount the legs to the bottom.

Once I set her on her on feet...perfect. To prep for paint I put on a coat of General Finishes Primer. Once dry I added two coats of General Finishes Black Velvet. I choose to leave the Legs in their natural condition for contrast. Stenciling came next.

Using Pale Oak, I lightly dabbed up and down over the stencil with only a little paint on the brush. Too much paint and it runs. The tricky part was the curves of the drawers. I taped the edges but also held down the areas I was working on. To finish I applied two coats of wipe on polyurethane clear satin and cleaned the brass hardware.

The result was an amazing transformation. Adding legs gave this piece the lift it needed.

15 Perfectly Round Tables
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas

• Linda
    Linda
    Yesterday

It isn’t often I see DY projects that I think I would be interested in but you blew this out of the water. It’s beautiful!

• MK McDonald
    MK McDonald
    An hour ago

You are a natural. I might come up with something similar but ugly but not before agonizing about for a year. You have a gift. Thanks for posting.

• Gary Hardman
      Gary Hardman
      Just now

Thanks MK. Don’t agonize, just jump in and have fun with it. I get ideas from Etsy, Pinterest and of course HomeTalk and then apply them to what I am working on.