This squat three drawer chest had a marble top and brass pulls in great condition. I cleaned it with windex and took the hardware off. My thought was this needed to be higher. Looking through my stash of bits and pieces I came up with four legs that fit perfectly. To add the legs, I needed to add several pieces of 1X4 wood to mount them on the bottom corners of the chest. I then used three inch screws to mount the legs to the bottom.
Imagine the Elevated Chest
I love brown, boring furniture. Especially great bargains with interesting bones. I snagged this beauty for $30 on line. A forty minute trip to and from and I was already trying to imagine what this creature could look like.
Once I set her on her on feet...perfect. To prep for paint I put on a coat of General Finishes Primer. Once dry I added two coats of General Finishes Black Velvet. I choose to leave the Legs in their natural condition for contrast. Stenciling came next.
Using Pale Oak, I lightly dabbed up and down over the stencil with only a little paint on the brush. Too much paint and it runs. The tricky part was the curves of the drawers. I taped the edges but also held down the areas I was working on. To finish I applied two coats of wipe on polyurethane clear satin and cleaned the brass hardware.
The result was an amazing transformation. Adding legs gave this piece the lift it needed.