How do I fix an old sliding cabinet door?

+9

I am remaking an old stereo cabinet. The doors slide open towards the centre. One of the doors has come off its track. There isn’t any apparent hardware. Any ideas?

• William William on Apr 11, 2021

The upper track the glass slides in is deeper than the bottom track. This allows the glass to be slipped up and lowered into the bottom track

• Seth Seth on Apr 11, 2021

There may have never been any hardware and the doors just by-passed each other, held in by grooves or small pieces of trim at the top and bottom. Try tilting the door up (into the groove or behind the trim). Push the bottom in and set it down into the bottom groove or behind the trim.

• William William on Apr 11, 2021

Seth is correct. A lot of cabinet sliding glass doors never had any hardware for a clean look. Sometimes a groove was ground into one side for fingers.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Apr 11, 2021

We had a bed with these kind of doors in the headboard, they were held in place by a groove and were easily removable.

• Sister Tamala Sister Tamala on Apr 11, 2021

It is actually not glass, but rather teak. I will try what you guys suggest. There might have been this little piece of metal about 3 inches long and a quarter inch wide and very thin that was rounded and stuck somewhere. Does that sound like anything you’ve ever seen?.Item was probably made in the early 1960s.

• Deb K Deb K on Apr 12, 2021
    1. Hello, it is likely just a groove that the door sits in, you will need to gently flex the door to put it back in place.
    2. Slide the outermost door to the center of the cabinet, grasp the edges and lift.
    3. Angle the bottom of the door toward you and remove the door from the cabinet. Look for a stop on one side of the door opening if you can't remove the doors by lifting.

Do the same to replace the door, hope this helps you out

• Maura White Maura White on Apr 13, 2021

I would get barn door style hardware and put both of the doors on one of those.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Apr 13, 2021

There likely isn't enough width on the top edge to mount barn door hardware. Besides, this look is not characteristic to the doors on mid-century stereo cabinets. If you are wanting to retire the cabinet, I would not recommend this suggestion.

• Sister Tamala Sister Tamala on Apr 14, 2021

I am attaching a picture of the door. Can you see at the very very top in the middle there is a little rounded piece of metal? Is this necessary for me to fix the doors?

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 05, 2021

Hello there,

You would need to lift the door until it reaches the top of the track for the door and then drop it into the bottom track. That how they do it!