Asked on Apr 12, 2021

Can I reupholster vinyl chairs with cloth?

Johnavallance82Joan @ Nicer Than NewAnnie
+23

I have this seventies bar and two chairs my husband wants me to keep. Because the bar has the television at eye level. I can't seem to find the piece of furniture that has the storage the bar does. He does not want the television on the wall when I remodel the kitchen. He says it's going to mess up the wall. I explained to him a lot of people have their televisions on the wall with no problem.

• Yes, you can reupholster vinyl chairs with cloth.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

I agree with Ann, yes you can use cloth, for a good selection of fabrics, I would suggest a visit to Joann's fabric, they have a great selection.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I don't see why you could not reupholster them in cloth.

• Coolfurniturelady
    Coolfurniturelady

Yes, but it is best to remove the vinyl first. Once removed, the old pieces become your pattern.

• Dee
    Dee

Yes you can, if you want a sturdy fabric use outdoor fabric. It lasts forever in the house. Hobby Lobby has beautiful indoor/outdoor fabric remember to use the 40% off coupon you can get online.

William

Don't remove the vinyl. Cover them with fabric. The curves would be hard to work with. You can add some batting for more cushion

• Karen
    Karen

Thank you, so much for your input. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!

• Karen
    Karen

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do with the bar?

Betsy

Hi Karen: Yes, you can re-do the chairs with fabric. I would remove the old material and use it as a pattern. As for the bar, it seems as if your hubby has already decided it should be his tv area. I'd use it as a desk for him to do his paperwork, i.e., pay bills, read, etc. I'd put the tv on the kitchen wall. Your kitchen, his garage or basement :) You don't tell him what to do in his area and he should accept your desires in your kitchen. As for it being eye level now, how short is he???

Good luck

Betsy

Oh, that explains everything :) No, it won't damage the wall, I have mine mounted on the wall and love it. It moves out, up, down, and side to side. But, they are set in their ways, aren't they? :) But we love them any way - most of the time :) Have you asked him for suggestions? Maybe he has some.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Yes you can use a fabric, that might be a more comfortable option vs a vinyl. The panels in the bar might be removed and recovered too if they can be popped off without damaging the bar. It could be nice to have matching fabric replaced to both areas.

• Karen
      Karen

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. We're on the same page oh, I was already thinking about that. But I don't know what to do with the laminate the bar itself. I'm going to look into that.

• Karen
    Karen

This is what the bar looks like now.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

you can remove those colored panels and reupholster them as well then put them back on the bar - is the bar too high for the TV to sit on?

• Karen
      Karen

No the bar is just the right height for the television to sit on. That's why he doesn't want to let it go. It's 37"

• Kathy
    Kathy

I would redo the chair in fabric and the panels with the same fabric. Center padding in bar would Mach the chair fabric. On the bar I’d use a different fabric on the outer two inserts that blend with the fabric if center insert and chairs. I’d paint the bar to a lighter color. I’ve seen what paint can do to actually change the look of dated pieces. This set was a chocolate brown dated - I sanded and stained and sealed these pieces of furniture.

• Karen
      Karen

Great job! Love the tea pot too. I'm hoping to find someone that can help me do this project. Because I know nothing about doing anything like this.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hello, you can certainly reupholster with fabric instead of vinyl, hope this helps you out,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaiZd2hcFEc

• Sandie
    Sandie

You can use shower curtain. I don’t see why the old fabric and padding should be removed. You can make a pattern out of paper or the seat with a remnant of fabric. Use med strong tape or pushpins. Magic marker is could. Get it where you want it get rid of excess fabrics on corners. Refit again, then use that as a pattern

• Annie
    Annie

Absolutely, heres a vid that may help you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmQpQmhXbMo

• I suggest you paint them! Yes paint! Do a google search. I know it can be done with Fusion Mineral Paint. You could paint the coloured spots on the bar too..

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82
    Just now

Yes Karen,

Remove the cushions and recover with fabric. Staple new cover on all four sides to check you have the tension right and then complete the task.