DIY Bird Feeder (from a Plastic Bottle)

$5

I love feeding and watching birds. I recently made a quick DIY bird feeder. I used materials I already had on hand. The only cost to me was the bird seed! The birds rapidly ate all the bird seed in my DIY bird feeder, so I'd say it was a success!

Supplies

Empty plastic bottle (I used a roasted peanuts bottle)

Twine

Multipurpose Scissors (or, you could use a drill if you like)

3 wooden chopsticks, pencils or dowels (I used chopsticks from a Chinese takeout order)

Bird Seed

How to Make a Bird Feeder from a Plastic Bottle

My simple bird feeder came together in a matter of minutes. To start, I washed and dried an empty plastic bottle.

I used a pair of scissors to poke three sets of holes in the bottle. (Each set consists of a hole on opposite sides of the bottle.)

I then fed a chopstick through a hole to a corresponding hole on the opposite side of the bottle. (I did this three times to create perches for the birds.)

My aim was to have bird perches toward the top, middle and bottom of the feeder.

After I had the chopsticks inserted in the bottle, I used a scissor to make a small hole above each perch. (I found the easiest way to make the holes was to poke the scissor into the bottle and then turn it.) The birds can use the holes to get access to the bird seed.

After I had the feeding holes and perches completed, I poked two holes (on opposite sides) toward the top of the bottle.

I ran a length of twine through the holes and knotted it at the top to create a loop from which to hang the bird feeder. (You can see how I did it in the photo below.)

Them all I did was take the top off the bottle, fill the bottle with bird seed, replace the top and hang my new DIY bird feeder.

One thing I like about these DIY bird feeders is that I don't have to clean them. After the birds eat up all the seed, I just recycle the bottle and make a new feeder. That way, I can easily keep my feeders clean and safe for the birds.

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Lauren of Mom Home Guide

• Stephanie Hemingway
    Stephanie Hemingway

How do they get the food if the chopsticks are in the holes?

• Mavis
      Mavis

The instructions said holes were poked above the chopstick perches so the birds could get at the seeds.

• Judith DeMello
    Judith DeMello

Maybe I’m either lazy or not very bright. ( or both lol), but why can’t the bird feeder be used more than once ?