How to Fake a Wooden Beam

$0

As I was repainting the walls in my house, I thought, hmmm...why not paint this section like a faux beam? It's only paint right? if I don't like it, then I will paint it back to the wall color. I would love to cover it with the real thing but I don't have it and I can always do it later.

The first thing you do is paint a base color based on the lightest color you see on a piece of wood of your choice. Now, my wall were beige to begin with so that helped. I wanted the beam to match my front door and other furniture pieces I have around. So I chose a rich, brown which I mixed myself so I don't have a name. Sorry. But I did add glaze to the mix in order for it to have a slight transparency and longer drying time for me create some exposed beige lines.

Paint the edges first.

In some areas, use the brush flat so as to remove some of the paint, exposing the beige underneath.

Once that is done, then you will need two part glaze with one part black paint, preferably unicorn spit black because it is a very deep black tint.

Using a round sponge, apply the mix without pressing, so that most of the glaze stays on the surface of the wall texture. Also add some "knots" to give it a realistic look.

As you can see, there is the beige, the reddish brown and the black all creating the look of stained wood.

And that's it. What do you think? should I put some metal brackets on the sides?

3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips

• Donna
    Donna

Which paint and glaze did you use?

• Lula Porter
    Lula Porter

I want to lighten up my living room. I plan to paint my darkened with age unfinished living room ceiling a color close to that of unfinished (light) pine. Would adding glaze allow the patterns in the wood to show through? I have a lot of holes to fill and plan to put wood between the ceiling joists over the beam and the wall. What would you do with this other than cover it up?

• Carolina
      Carolina

Lula, It is hard to see in that picture what direction things go and what is what. Do you have more pictures from dif angles? Is that gray looking piece a beam? What glaze does is make the paint a little transparent and it delays the drying time a little So I am not sure that is what you need.

• Kim
    Kim

That looks real! Great work!

• Sarah
    Sarah
    An hour ago

Love it! You could place decorative corbels on each end to make it look even more authentic