Adding Legs to a Dresser

2 materials
$30
3 Weeks

Today I am sharing with you how I added the metal legs on the old dresser makeover I posted a month ago. You can find how I bleached and added the cane door front here.

Adding the legs to the dresser was a game changer, giving the dresser a sleek clean elegant modern look.

I purchased the metal legs from Kijiji , the legs had a top triangular plate with 4 screw holes. They were finished in satin chrome and I spray painted them black.

Here is what you are going to need;

Material

• Old dresser
  • Wood Glue
  • Metal Furniture legs
  • Black Paint
  • nails
  • Steel screw with Allen head
  • Wood ( 1×4 and 1×2)

Instructions

• In order to add legs you will need the bottom of your dresser to be flat. This dresser had skirting on the back for support , so I had to cut out the skirting on the back first.
  • To add a base I first measured the height of the side skirting to determine how much wood I needed.

• You can either add a full width of wood on the back of your dresser or you can just fit it in the corners, I opted to fit in the corners to provide a surface for adding the legs.
  • I played around with different type of wood to match the side skirting. Using four 1 x 4 and one 1 x2 it was a perfect combination for my base
  • Using 1x 4 and 1x 2 wood blocks, attach the longest piece of 1 x 4 using glue and nail gun, to secure the wood.
  • Follow with the additional three pieces of 1 x4 , lastly attach your 1 x2 on top, you will want to make sure its longer than your metal leg plate

Here is a Before and After of the dresser.

adding legs to a dresser
Adding base for the legs

Illuminatedhut

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

3 of 11 comments
Next