Painting The Inside Of Our Front Door Black

$30

This spring hubby and I have begun pulling up all of the carpet in our 1977 ranch home because we discovered hardwoods!

During the process, in magazines I have seen the interior side of front doors painted lovely colors, which was my inspiration for this project. Since we have a lot of colorful rugs and artwork in this hallway, I went neutral. How about your house? Is this an update you would make?

One consideration before you purchase paint is what type of paint is already on your door. Ours was painted with oil back in the 1970s (ugh). I could have painted it first with oil-based primer, then painted a water-based paint on top to convert it. But no, I was in a hurry.

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT TYPE OF PAINT IS ON YOUR DOOR?

Don’t guess whatever you do! If you paint water-based paint on top of oil, it will eventually peel right off. No fun. So, use some mineral spirits (paint thinner) on a rag and wipe the door. If paint comes off, it is oil. You can also use some denatured alcohol on a cloth to wipe the door. If nothing comes off, the paint is oil. The secret is – mineral spirits is the solvent for oil paint and denatured alcohol is the solvent for water-based paint.

Let’s paint!

WHAT YOU NEED

1 quart of black paint. I used Sherwin-Williams in satin

A 2″ or 3″ paintbrush made for the type of paint you’re using

Painter’s tape

Drop cloth

Rags

STEP ONE – Remove the hardware or tape very carefully around it.

STEP TWO Put down a drop cloth. (I also put our rambunctious kitties in our guest room. Imagine black oil paint all over the house!)

STEP THREE Paint in the panel edges.

STEP FOUR Paint the horizontals.

STEP FIVE Paint the verticals.

Although the paint coverage was amazing for the first coat, I was painting black over white. So, I let this coat dry overnight, and painted another coat the next day. Once dry I removed the tape and cleaned up.

What do you think? To me, the black coordinates with the black African mud cloth, the kitchen chairs, and the picture frames.

You can see the other end of the hallway where we are still in mess mode and the floor has not been sanded. I know it will end, I keep telling myself.

I would love for you to join me on my blog for lots more projects at DebbieDionHayesCreative.com/blog.

25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Debbie Dion Hayes Creative

• Sharon
    Sharon

I love the picture frames on the walls o

in the shelf? How did you do that? Your home is beautiful

• Cece
    Cece

I see that you only used a brush for your door project. Would it be faster and better to use a small roller for flat areas around the panels?

• Lisa West
      Lisa West

Yes you can use a roller. Find out what type of nap would be best for the enamel paint so it settles smoothly. The lady whi paint her door did the same with her paint brushes. Found which ones are best suited for the paint she was applying for the best and smoot coverage. Also research the paint. Each company has their own chemical combination, as well as oder and what mixes well with the primer you want to use. Painting your home is no different then doing your fingernails or having them done. The right products that work with each ither for the best quality finish. Believe it or not many people don't realize this and or just buy the cheap stuff with put researching. If you have quality primer alot if the time you can use a lower quality paint and the item will still look great. Prep work before hand is always a must as well. I'm sure you know this. I'm just putting this info out there and some thing to compare it to. Finger nails with gel or acrylic or quality products used for cooking and baking are the best examples for comparing when explaining some thing. My favorite comparison is when some one is using cement and the thickness needs to resemble cake batter or brownie batter. Any way good luck and have fun.

• Penny
    Penny

Love the door. I painted all my interior doors black at my old house. Really like the look of the black hardware with it.

Where did you find the Brooklyn Heights pharmacy cabinet? I like that it isn't as deep as most that you find.