DIY floor pouf supplies
- 2 yards Muslin
- 2 yards Home decor fabric
- tape measure
- chalk + ruler
- pattern paper (like this medical exam paper)
- shredded foam stuffing, bead stuffing or fabric scraps
- rotary cutter if using fabric scraps
- sewing pins
- fabric marker
- 36″ nylon zipper or as long as you can find, but at least 22″
- 80/12 universal needle
- zipper foot for your sewing machine
- cardboard gridded mat or large rotary mat
- seam ripper
- pattern weights ( how to make your own pattern weights)
- canvas drop cloth or tarp
- hand needle and thread
What kind of fabric should I use for a DIY floor pouf?
You’ve got a lot of choices here. Technically this project falls under the category of upholstery, so you want something sturdy.
Upholstery fabrics are rated by double rubs, which basically means how many times can the fabric be sat on over and over again before it shows its age. The higher the double rub count, the sturdier the fabric.
That being said, upholstery fabrics aren’t always the easiest to find and you will pay for that quality. Plus upholstery fabrics can be beasts to handle and sew because of their weight and extra coatings they may have that make them stronger.