How to Make DIY Solar Lights Reusing Old Wooden Blocks

$15

These easy DIY solar lights sit on solid plinths made from old wood blocks allowing them to be positioned anywhere in the garden with no risk of being blown or knocked over. They are perfect to use as table lanterns, sit on top of walls, or line paths and driveways.

Cheap solar lights are easy to find in stores and a great way to brighten up outdoor spaces. However, they tend to be lightweight and rely on being secured through a spike pushed into the ground. I want the flexibility to move my garden lights without having to use spikes, and this is my solution.

What I used to make my DIY Solar Lights

I am using the wooden blocks from an old Jenga style game that the kids played with when they were little. As you can see in the photo, some of them still have the kid’s scribbles on them. Handily, three of these blocks fit together to make a square.

You can, of course, use anything you fancy to make the base for your solar lights; just make sure it is heavy enough to give stability.

How to make DIY solar lights with wooden block bases.

Start by glueing the wooden blocks into squares using wood glue and set aside to cure.

Then coat each base with a couple of coats of wood paint or stain and leave again to dry.

Centre a solar light onto each wooden plinth and glue it into place. I used hot glue for this step, but something like E6000 would also work well.

Finally, set in a sunny place to allow the solar panels to charge, and when the sun goes down, your DIY solar lights will come to life.

These DIY solar lights look fab lined up in the centre of an outdoor table, as shown here.

You can also use these lights to mark out paths, illuminate porches or light up pretty dark corners of your garden.

Our solar lanterns with woodblock bases also make pretty and safe night lights for use in tents and are perfect for setting next to the ends of guy ropes to stop people tripping over them.

For more easy DIY garden ideas, check out our garden glamping post.

DIY Glamping Ideas To Try In The Garden

It’s always lovely to get away, but sometimes it’s just not possible. But that doesn’t mean we can’t at least pretend. We’re here to help you host your very own DIY glamping holiday in your backyard.

15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Craft Invaders