Asked on Apr 18, 2021

How do I pick a tile floor to match a wood floor in my family room?

Lindsay AratariCheryl ACarrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
+9

Just replaced carpet with manufactured hard wood. Now replacing old slate tile in entry way and thru the hallway. Need to know how to pick a coordinating tile flooring that will match.

New wood against slate that's being replaced.

• Hayley Breshears
    Hayley Breshears

Hi Pam! With seeing that you chose a pretty taupe/cool-toned wood floor and your walls seem to be grey, I would really recommend going with something light and cool/taupe toned. Nothing too warm or dark.

The actual tile that you choose is totally up your personal style :) Here are some options I found:

ONE --- A modern square tile in a nice light oatmeal color.

TWO --- A more natural stone/concrete look in a hexagonal shape.

THREE -- This option is bright and timeless, would look great with those baseboards and wall color!

William

I would take a medium tone from the hardwood. It would bring out the light and dark tones in the hardwood and blend well.

• I would take a piece of the manufactured hardwood to the tile store and match it with a similar color.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Mirroring the warm honey- wheat color tones might be suggested.

Can you bring a piece of hardwood to the tile shop to scout for for candidates? Also bring samples home to view in your lighting might be suggested.

• Marla
    Marla

From my past exsperience of putting down floor tile, "Don't" stick with your wood flooring. I am so disappointed in floor tile. It's COLD during the winter, it's hard to keep the grout clean and to be truthful "I hate it" I'm trying now to gather enough money to replace ALL my tile with vinyl wood flooring. It's looks Awesome! And Easy to Clean! Water resistant! Yes! I should have listened to my friends before having tile put down!!!! Shame on me!

Marla

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

If you want to keep the two areas as separate 'rooms' then instead of trying to precisely match the tile and the wood, you could choose another tile and make a border around, or a dividing line between the wood and the tile.

Here are some examples:

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

It depends on "why" you are wanting to replace your existing tile. I think the main way to have a nice transition from tile to wood is the way you connect the two. Your slate would be great if you did something like the examples Flipturn posted.

• Libbie B
    Libbie B

I love the transitions Fipturn is suggesting. It will help define spaces. You want to either define the spaces as separate or run the same flooring to unify, don't try to choose something close "to match" it.

Betsy

If you go to a place like Home Depot, they have people who can help you with this.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would get some tile samples or swatch books in colors that match some of the tones of your wood and put them up against the wood flooring.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

you can buy tile samples and then return them if none of them work it gives you a chance to lay them out and see if they will match or not - they have tile now that looks like wood floors but it may be hard to match exactly to what you have

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari
    37 minutes ago

I would do something warm undertones