Never Throw Out a Piece of Furniture Again

$75

I had a client who was moving into her new dream home and wanted to save on the furniture budget. Since this dresser was free to her and made of solid wood, she hired me to to give it a face lift and make it fit with her current decor.

They had a light wood hardwood floor and wanted something that would match that and also have another color with great contrast

We settled on a white wash, black paint and new brass hardware.

I started with sanding off the whole piece with 120 220 and 320 grit. I also took off the drawer fronts as I was going to paint that.

Once it was all sanded I did a white wash on the top and front side of the dresser. A white wash is pretty much just watered down white paint. You apply it just like a stain.

Painting the drawer fronts

I primed the drawer fronts with bin primer then used valspar furniture and cabinet paint in the color tricorn black. For this I used a foam roller. You need 2-3 coats of each.

Once the paint dried I put them back on the drawers. I also painted the bottom and sides.

I really like when a project is coming together. Just towards the end when I can clearly see how it's going to look like .

New hardware

I applied polycrilyc clear coat on the wood parts of the dresser. The cabinet paint dries super hard and durable and does not require a top coat. We picked out brass drawer pulls instead of knobs. This way you don't need to use two hands to open a drawer and looks much more modern.

If you like this transformation and would like to follow in real time for tips and tricks follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai

Everything Red For Canada Day
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas

• Kc Nordquist
    Kc Nordquist

Do you usually sand to remove old paint and varnish from furniture? I have an ancient but favorite dresser that needs to get the varnish removed. I have a spray-on stripper I can use, but I'm not sure which would be better.

• Andrea Palmai
      Andrea Palmai
      An hour ago

You have to scrape it off. Direction on how to use the stripper should be on the container and should be followed.

• Fran
    Fran

On the finished drawers I do not see where the original drawer pulls were. Did you use wood filler? I do not like to cover beautiful wood, but I have to say this piece makes me wonder.

• Linda
    Linda

It takes someone with vision--and you've got it! Nice!

• Debbie
    Debbie
    Yesterday

You did a fantastic job ! the dresser goes very well and looks great with your other items . For my house I would have kept the unfinished wood but it's all about personal taste .