Quick Spray-on Rust DIY!

$5

For this tutorial, I'm excited to show you another way to rust metal! This method is great for large steel/metal objects that you cannot soak (see my other metal rusting tutorial for smaller items). I used it forthese AWESOME steel planter boxes from DIYCartel. They come in raw steel and are gorgeous as is... but you know me... I like everything rusted to perfection! Here's a picture of the "after", so you can see what I mean!

These planter boxes come in a flat box, delivered right to your door, and are so easy to assemble:

Once I had it all put together, I started mixing my rust concoction. I used 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup peroxide, and 1-2 tbsp. salt.

I put all of this in a spray bottle, and shook it up really good to dissolve the salt.

Then, I sprayed the first coat on my planter. I sprayed it on heavily, so that I could see the liquid running down the side of the planter.

As soon as you spray it on, you can see the rust starting to form:

Let the first coat dry thoroughly, and then if you want more rust, you can coat it again. I did about three coats for this effect:

You can do as many coats as you want. I also found that if you wet the piece down once you have put on the first coat, water will help speed the rusting process as well. We ended up putting three of these rusted beauties along the walkway to our front porch:

Here is what it looked like before.... wow, what a difference!

I hope you will give this method a try on metal pieces you have, and be sure to check out these DIYCartel planters. This store also has shelf brackets and pipe decor - I love everything they sell! We get so many compliments on them!

Thanks for tuning in to this tutorial. Happy rusting!!

Xo,

Jamey

P.S. If you like this project, please share. I'd also love it if you would give me a follow on Instagram and/or Facebook (@jagcagdesign). I have a video tutorial of this same project on my Instagram Reel page, if you want to see it in action!

Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss

• Kris
    Kris

The planters, was it galvanized steel? I’m thinking of using galvanized steel trash cans. My husband thinks the process won’t work on galvanized.

• Trish
      Trish

muriatic acid is used to clean the inside walls of a pool!!! It’s very strong acid. Please, please wear eye protection, gloves, and a respirator when using! (RN)

• Sea R
    Sea R

what are the measurements for the ingredients one part to one part to one part or something else?

• Susan
      Susan

1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup peroxide, and 1-2 tbsp. salt.

• Kari Osborne
    Kari Osborne
    Yesterday

Since you started the rusting process, doesn't the planter continue to rust? How long do they actually last after doing this? I do LOVE them despite the questions...

• Terri June Blake
    Terri June Blake
    Yesterday

I have never shared and or followed on Instagram/Facebook. I will today. Awesome! Thank you for sharing Jamey!!

• Patsy47
    Patsy47
    Yesterday

you neglected to mention how EXPENSIVE these planters are!!

on Amazon they are $190.00 each plus shipping ( unless you have Prime)...nice project but waaaay to pricey for this budget conscious homeowner....

• @JagCagDesign
      @JagCagDesign
      57 minutes ago

Hi there! This blog is about the rusting process ("spray on rust" is the title"), and I tried to share that at the opening. I also shared the planters I happened to be using, in case people were interested. I hope you find something that this technique will work with, and I hope you enjoyed learning about the rusting process! I bet you could find more affordable pieces - I am always on thelook out at yard sales!