Wooden Fire Pit Cover

$10

It all began several years ago with a weekend fire pit build, which turned into a gravel surround, and now a great fire pit cover!

First there was the Fire Pit Project.

It was a weekend project that was well worth the time and energy spent!

Then, after living with the fire pit for a couple of years, we decided a cover might be nice for those times when we aren't using it for a fire.

For the cover I began by cutting a large circle from a big piece of 1" thick plywood.

Please visit the bold blue links in this post for more information on these projects.

To make a circle I first found the center of the wood.

I measured the width of the plywood, found the center, then attached string on a tack to the center point.

I tied the other end of the string to a pencil and drew a big circle.

I was careful to hold my pencil upright and honestly, for this project it didn't matter how perfect my circle turned out.

I used a jigsaw to cut the circle, then I trimmed and sanded all the rough edges.

I laid it down on top of the fire pit, it was large enough to cover the center hole.

You may want to give the plywood circle a coat of Polycrylic or something that will protect the plywood from the weather if you're not using a waterproof cover.

I covered the whole thing with a beautiful garage sale find, an oilcloth tablecloth that fit over the top and draped down the sides perfectly!

The oilcloth is waterproof and keeps the wood inside dry for the next fire, it even matches the oilcloth pillows on the chairs and the couch.

You could also use an inexpensive round vinyl tablecloth.

This makes a great table to rest your magazines and drinks.

You can read about how we added a pea gravel area and then replaced this old fence with a brand new vinyl fence at Homeroad.net that made all the difference in this yard!

And... if you've ever wanted to hang things on a vinyl fence, I've got the perfect solution for you!

Want to receive Homeroad’s latest post in your inbox? Please sign up for email in the sidebar above.

Please visit the GO box below for more repurposed projects!

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Homeroad

• Erin
    Erin

Nice alternative! I know I’d use the table a lot more than the fire part!

• Diane
    Diane

I had seen this project on Pinterest and tried it. I customized ours so that when not in use, on the firepit it could be leaned against a palm tree to identify our property on the Gulf.