Painting a Fiberglass Bathtub: What You Need to Know

5 materials
$40
1 Day

Hello there. If you have a fiberglass bathtub that has yellowed, this may help you decide on what to do with it.

Here is a brief post on how I updated our manufactured home's garden style fiberglass bathtub with paint. I go into more details over at K's Olympic Nest (link below) so hopefully you will check that out as well.

painting a fiberglass bathtub what you need to know, Fiberglass tub yellowed over time
Fiberglass tub yellowed over time.

Our garden tub happens to sit below two windows. Over time it yellowed and no matter what I tried, I couldn't bring it back to it's once upon a time shining white.

There is a frugal way to update your bathtub with Rust-Oleums specialty spray paint (this is not an Ad just personal experience). Read on to learn more before you decide whether or not this is right for you.

There are two different Rust-Oleums Epoxy spray paint. One is an Appliance product while the other is designed for Tub and Tile. The first is an option and is more affordable—around $4 bucks a can at Walmart. The other costs more but is designed specifically for heavy water exposure. It runs about $19 dollars a can. There is also the option of paint in a can where you could use a brush and roller. This would be a more cost effective option ($24 for a quart) if you needed to update your shower and the tiles.

Read the label on the can before you decide to do this. It’s pretty toxic and you will want to be able to vent your space.

Another important step is to make sure you prep the surface to be painted (follow the directions on the label) as well as protect everything you do not want spray residue to touch.

Before you apply the first coat, double check that your surface is clean with absolutely no dust, hair, or lint.

It’s important to let each coat dry before applying the next layer. The first application should be a light coat. The next a bit heavier with the final coat smoothing out the look. I gave it about 45 minutes to an hour between each coat.

Here’s what our garden bathtub looks like now that it has been spray painted with Rust-Oleums epoxy Appliance spray paint.

painting a fiberglass bathtub what you need to know, After fiberglass tub makeover
After fiberglass tub makeover

Our total cost for the tub update: $10 (cost of the paint)

Materials Needed

• 2 cans Rust-Oleums epoxy Appliance spray paint
  • Mask for spray painting
  • Painters tape
  • Plastic sheeting to protect surfaces
  • Light grain sandpaper

It's been several months since this update. So far it is holding up. I have noticed that if you place anything inside the tub, say a plastic laundry basket, you may see some wear. It is very slight and once I noticed it, I did swapped out the laundry basket.

Kelli

Questions on this post

Your question...
  3 questions

Comments

3 of 6 comments
Next