New Life to an Old Table

$20

I got this table at an online auction. I knew it would look great getting a facelift, but little did I know it would speak to me in a different way.

So, here it is. It was in good shape except for the right handle was broken on the door. Everything got a good cleaning with a degreaser.

The inside didn’t smell which is always a plus!

I taped off the top and painted it in a cottage white color. This took 2 coats.

We make our own chalk paint and this is the color that we use a lot. We do love this paint. It goes on well and has great coverage.

Ok, do you see what I see? The inset, or engraved part on the door is in the shape of a dog bone!

After it dried, I distressed it using a 120 grit sandpaper. The left side is distressed in this picture.

I found these handles in my stash that fit into the existing holes. But that top, it way too shiny.

So, I roughed up the shiny laminated top with a 60 grit sandpaper.

I taped off the top and put 2 coats of a white primer on the top. Then it got 2 coats of the cottage white chalk paint with sanding in between coats.

Ahhh, now it looks great . . . On the outside! No one would ever guess that a dog bed is waiting inside.

But it’s still so dark on the inside. I know this pix was taken before I painted the top. I really didn’t want to have to paint it but, one look and it’s obvious it needed it.

So it got a couple of coats of the same chalk paint as the outside.

Ahhh, so much brighter.

And look at that adorable dog bed now! It’s Gizmo approved!

• Side table
  • Home made chalk paint
  • Sander

Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls

• Rosemary
    Rosemary

Nice job! How did you make your chalk paint? What is the advantage of it over the regular Behr paint you used to make the chalk paint? Thanks!

• S
    S
    22 hours ago

Ha I tried this for my spoiled pup in his own personal room for a safe space in the event of a storm and his beloved mama wasn’t home... turned his nose right up at it. Now it is my overflow book storage! Silly do doesn’t know what he missed..lol

• You could attach a curtain instead of doors.

I made something similar for the kitty litter box.