From Broken Garden Hose to Plant Trellis to Temp Gate

2 materials
$1

I wanted to repurpose my garden hoses. I had 2 that were no longer good for using as hoses. The heavy duty one sprung a leak and the light duty one kept kinking up when I tried to use it for watering. I kept the broken hoses because there are a lot of things you can use them for to repurpose. I planned on turning them into a plant trellis using a left over wooden upright from my garage shelf renovation as the trellis frame.

from broken garden hose to plant trellis, PVC pipe cutter made this so easy
PVC pipe cutter made this so easy

I first cut off the ends of the hoses with a PVC cutter. Next I measured the long side of the upright and cut my hoses into equal pieces to fit across the frame. I then grabbed some 1. 25 inch nails and began hammering away attaching my hose pieces horizontally to the wooden upright.

from broken garden hose to plant trellis, Nailing my hose pieces across the upright
Nailing my hose pieces across the upright

Once those were all nailed into place, I cut 4 more pieces into equal lengths to weave vertically through my horizontal pieces using an under and over weave. I had the trellis laying on its side while working, so my horizontal is the length of the upright.

from broken garden hose to plant trellis, Still plugging along
Still plugging along

Below is the weave action of under over. After the 4 short pieces were woven in, I nailed them onto the upright. I ran out of my short gray hose but had 110 feet of black hose left to work with. Yay!

from broken garden hose to plant trellis, Weaving my hose
Weaving my hose

I didn’t measure spacing or anything, I just eyeballed it. The side I was working on was the intended front of my trellis but the back turned out looking better, so I used the backside as the front side.

from broken garden hose to plant trellis, Back of trellis which was the original front
Back of trellis which was the original front

So after a little bit of cutting and hammering, the trellis was ready for a climbing plant.

from broken garden hose to plant trellis, All ready to go into backyard
All ready to go into backyard.

Since I had all of the materials on hand, I’m not sure what it would actually cost to make one of these. I just thought it would be fun to post a project using stuff that was laying around taking up space.

from broken garden hose to plant trellis
New plan for my project. Trellis=Gate

Before the trellis even made it into my garden, I turned it horizontally and decided it would make a perfect temporary gate to keep the dogs out of my vegetable garden. One bungee cord to create the hinge and voila, I had a make-shift gate.

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

4 of 33 comments
Next