How to keep moisture out of inground pit with pumps to draw water?

+9

My church uses well water for everything including fire suppression equipment. The control pump to regulate the amount of well water to be drawn for a large storage tank for fire suppression is located in an inground pit about 12 feet below surface. Dampness in the pit causes frequent rust and damage to the equipment. It has been suggested that we move the pump regulator and related equipment to the surface. Is there another option for controlling/eliminating the dampness in the pit?

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Apr 28, 2021

Hi! In the past I had to deal with a well pump and holding tank. I had both above ground in an insulated space. Below ground is usually problematic for moisture (think basement). When the pump had to be replaced, I remember looking at pumps that were submerged in the well. An option perhaps? Would you consider a well house? Hopefully someone else can suggest something else?

• Maura White Maura White on Apr 29, 2021

Hmmmm......I don't see how you can control the dampness in the pit. I'd say find rust resistant equipment if it exists, or move it above ground.

• That's a tough one. The only way we've ever been able to control the dampness is with dehumidifiers, which I'm sure you already have, but I can't imagine they'd be sufficient in that space or at that depth.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Apr 29, 2021

I agree my first thought was dehumidifiers as well but with that kind of dampness etc. I don't think they would be enough. I would call around and see what the experts would suggest.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Apr 29, 2021

IS the water used for drinking or just for everything else.

• Annie Annie on Apr 29, 2021

Not really. Best to have as little equipment in the pit as possible, Just the submersed pump

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Apr 30, 2021

I see no way the dampness could be removed from the pit. The part of the pump made to be in the water is the only part that should be down in there.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Apr 30, 2021

Time to move the equipment.

By definition a well pit is going to be damp.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on May 02, 2021

Could you install a dehumidifier. I can’t picture this pit - would it have power in it?

• A dehumidifier would be moot. Can the equipment be moved? Really the only part that should be in the pit is the pump.

• Deb K Deb K on May 02, 2021

Hi Sandy, have you thought about cathodic protection? Maybe with a sacrificial anode , you equipment may last longer and provide more reliability,

https://www.waterousco.com/service-and-engineering-support/cathodic-protection