Upcycled Denim Hanging Vase

5 materials
$1

I love to craft for my home and to fill it with interesting upcycled fun decor. One of my favorite things to upcycle is old jeans in the past I have used tin cans and jeans to make some very cool planters.

This time I wanted to make something to hang on my walls, I used old jeans again but combined them with wood and a Mason Jar. These vases would make a lovely gift too.

This project costs almost nothing to make as you use stuff that you would normally throw away. An old jar, scrap piece of wood, denim scraps, and an old newspaper.

First, I covered the jar in cling film and then paper Mache half of it with newspaper strips.

I used a few layers of newspaper and used elastic bands around the lip of the jar. This was to make sure the jar shape would be visible when the paper dried.

I cut scraps of denim to fit the paper mache jar shape.

These were then glued onto the paper jar.

The scrap wood was sanded and a denim seam added as a hanging strap.

The vase was then glued to the wood base. All was that was left to do was to add flowers.

If using real flowers and water I would add a plastic yoghurt pot liner to the vase.

I ended up making 2 of these denim wall vases and I made some paper flowers for them. There are more details and a tutorial for the paper flowers on the blog post at the end.

I have made some beautiful denim flowers from scraps (see here) which I think would also look great in these hanging vases.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

2 of 7 comments
Next