Painted Sunshine Dresser

4 materials
$150

I happened upon this painted black mid century modern dresser at a thrift store. It looked to be in great shape other than the rough paint job.

Before

I used a Wagner heat gun to strip most of the finish.

I then sanded down the entire piece with 120, then 150, then 220 sandpaper with my orbital sander.

I wanted to see what I had to work with before I figured out what direction I would go on this piece. I had no idea what I wanted to do.

I needed to add some wood filler to a few spots so I kept that in mind when I was decided on a pattern to paint and exposing some wood.

After many hours of thinking and walking away and coming back and taping off many patterns with painters tape I decided on a sun with rays. ☀️

I used a pencil tied with string and taped the string to the bottom center of the dresser. I then drew a half circle with the pencil for the “sun” keeping the string taut.

I then taped off “rays” just eyeballing the distance between each so they looked evenly spaced.

Lucky for me I have a ton of chalk and enamel paints on hand so I just did a rough look with a few colors to make sure they all jived together before fully painting each ray.

After several coats I taped off in between the colors for a crisp edge and painted white between all the rays.

Hello Sunshine!

Can you believe this is the same piece!

That beautiful wood grain tho!

I left the top and legs in their natural wood state once sanded and salved it.

This took a long time to do but was so satisfying in the end.

Find me on Instagram creating

Instagram.com/pickedandposhed

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 14 comments
Next