How to Enhance a Cheap Furniture to Look Original and Expensive

4 materials

So we start with a small piece like this one. Nothing special. Simple, small and inexpensive. (I think I bought it at Hobby Lobby years ago).

All I had ever done to it is add a stain. Then one day I saw it had a cream paint spot that I have no idea how it got there. It has been bothering me ever since.

So, I had an idea. First I removed the door.

Then I sanded the spot a little with a sanding block.

Using a chalk, I sketched out my design.

I found this beautiful peacock design on one of my books. I just used it as inspiration but I did not make it exactly like this. I had to "simplify" it a bit.

Now, at this point, you can use a stencil, or you can use a transfer sheet or find a way to draw your design if you don't feel comfortable "free-handing" it.

Once the design is drawn. I then decided I wanted a very subtle color showing. So I used acrylics mixed with glaze to make it transparent.

I added about one part glaze to two part paint.

Brush on...

Blot it out.

Here it is with the "washed-out" colors.

This is what I used.

Next step was to outline the design with the hot-glue gun for dimension.

Your hand and arm will get tired. So give yourself some rest in between.

As you can see, it will not be perfect but that is ok.

After you finish the glue part, mix glaze with brown and black.

Brush it in...

rub it out with a sponge.

When you are done with the brown, use a metallic of your choice for the raised glue areas. I chose copper.

lightly rub the color on the raised areas only. Don't worry if some gets on the wood.

I liked it a lot but it was still missing something.

Ah ha!! how about some rhinestones?

These had it's own glue. Voila!

And there it is. I think it improved it quite a bit, don't you think?

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 21 comments
Next