DIY Hydrangea & Twig Flower Project

7 materials
$18

How to make a DIY Hydrangea and Twig Flower Project is a step by step tutorial that will teach you how you can easily make one for your home. It makes a beautiful centerpiece and the project includes some foraging, thrifting and good ole DIY.

Supplies for Hydrangea & Twig Project

I was able to forage all my twigs because we have a River Birch tree that drops stems like crazy. The glass cylinder container, placemat and grapevine wreaths were all thrift store finds, so this project was inexpensive.

• Tall Glass Cylinder shaped vase at least 10-12 inches high.
  • Twigs
  • Something to cover the glass vase with. I found some used placemats that were perfect for the project. You could use craft paper or felt if necessary.
  • 3 Grapevine wreaths approx. the diameter of the glass cylinder or slightly larger
  • Faux Hydrangeas approx. 7
  • Faux Twig stem
  • Styrofoam
  • Hot glue

Thrift Store Finds

If you follow Thrifting with the Gals on Instagram, you saw that I found all these items in one day at two different thrift stores. I was very fortunate but sometimes, I think it’s just meant to be. However, if you don’t have the time to search for your supplies, here are some recommendations that may help.

• You can find almost all the supplies at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Amazon, etc. Shop around and wait for sales or coupons.
  • You can find placemats at Walmart or Dollar Stores that are inexpensive. You only need one. However, you can cover the glass container with brown craft paper or felt as another option.
  • The twigs are easily foraged if you have trees. You can cut the branches from a tree if you don’t find any fallen limbs. The grapevines can also be foraged if you have wild grapevine in your area. I’ve made several small and large grapevine wreaths from foraged vine. Here is one that I made at Christmas using foraged grapevine.

If you are a DIY fan, shopping thrift stores can really save you money on a lot of items. You might enjoy reading Top Ten Tips for Successful Thrift Store Shopping. Catch Thrifting with the Gals every Wednesday at 1:00 EST on Instagram stories.

Begin by adding a piece of styrofoam to the inside of your glass vase. Add a drop of hot glue to hold it in place. Then cover the container with your choice of materials by wrapping the paper or placemat around the container and using hot glue to secure.

Next, add the grapevine wreaths by sliding them onto the bottom of the vase.

Lastly, begin adding the twigs vertically to the outside of the covered vase. Use hot glue at the bottom of each twig to hold in place. Be sure to cut your twigs the correct length to reach the top of the container. Add additional glue at the top where necessary. Continue working around the diameter of the glass container until it’s completely covered in twigs.Once all the twigs are in place, fill in any gaps with smaller pieces of twig and secure with hot glue.

Place a piece of ribbon or raffia around the twigs and tie to hold in place.

Add Hydrangeas & Twigs

Be sure to remove the majority of leaves from the hydrangea stems. Cut the stems to allow the blooms to rest on top of the twigs. Add the faux twig stems to the center of the arrangement. Completely fill in the top of the container and add one final bloom to the center of the arrangement. found that all the stems don’t have to be secured into the styrofoam. The arrangement is tight and as long as the first few stems are secured, the remainder will easily stay in place.

Hydrangea & Twig Centerpiece

I’m loving how the DIY Hydrangea & Twig Project looks on my dining table. It can be used in so many different areas to add a pop of rustic charm. See how to make the Grapevine Topiary in the background here

It’s hard to believe I only spent $18.00 on this project and it was very easy to make. The hardest part was gathering and cutting the twigs to size. See a grapevine and clay pot wreath project here.

Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

2 of 10 comments
Next