Is it a "fad" for painting kitchen cabinets?

+8

I know its personal choice/preference, but is painting upper and lower kitchen cabintry different colors a fad that's over?

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 12, 2021

it is still going strong in posts and articles that I have seen. I personally don't follow trends but go with what pleases me. I'm keeping mine stained, although I am going darker. I had painted cabinets in the past and it's a big no for me.

• It is a trend right now. I think it's a personal preference, but here's an article about it:

https://www.mydomaine.com/two-toned-kitchen-cabinet-ideas-4767836

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on May 12, 2021

I agree its a trend right now but if you look WAY back to the old country kitchens our grandparents used to have mismatched furniture with some painted and some not was really common! So I think this "fad" will stand the test of time longer than most.

• Janice Janice on May 12, 2021

Fad or trend....it is a good choice to update cabinetry. Here's an article you might enjoy.

https://www.elliman.com/insider/design-trend-painted-kitchen-cabinets-are-here-to-stay/

• Mogie Mogie on May 12, 2021

It is very in right now. But I like that look simply because I prefer that over the look where everything matches (like all one color of cabinet). Like a little color to break things up so it doesn't start to look sterile and hospital like.

I see posting and article that show it currently being done so I would say it is still "in".

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 12, 2021

I really like the look of different colors on the upper and lower cabinets, the contrast would also look good with shelves rather than cabinets on the upper level, for those of us who like shelves. A beautiful blue base with natural wood shelves is so appealing. Then a complementary backsplash.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on May 12, 2021

it may be a fad but it all depends on what you like not what is a fad- you can use colors that accent your countertops and backsplash

• William William on May 13, 2021

I wouldn't call it a "fad". Cabinet manufacturers are making painted cabinets after people started painting their own and they noticed. Two tone cabinets are basically a personal choice and designers provide that option. If it's a trend it is catching on. Of course taste is generational. What we like our kids or grandkids may not.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on May 13, 2021

Hello. It seems to be a personal choice, that or having the island a different color. A trip to a kitchen showroom might help you decide what you feel is pleasing.

• Betsy Betsy on May 13, 2021

Hi 1cs: Your opinion of what is in or out is up to you. Don't worry about other people's opinion, what you like is what is in for you. I have a neighbour whose livingroom is all orange, complete with orange shag carpeting and orange velvet paintings! Yup, a little out there for me, but she loves it and I love her and that's all that matters. So, you do you, kid, and remember, we only go around once, so enjoy the ride how you like it, it's your turn, go for it!