DIY Agate Slice Art

$70

If I had to choose a DIY project that represents me the most. This one would be it. Ever since I was a kid, I have have had an obsession with geodes, rocks and especially Agate slices.

I was thinking of replacing this large mirror in the dining room, which I love, but I don’t love that every time I look in it reflects our messy kitchen and as a former home stager I was taught to only use mirrors if it reflects, light or something beautiful.

When I hang art in my home I want to mean something to me. I generally don’t just purchase art or pictures because they’re pretty, it has to resonate with me somehow. That’s when I thought of a large Agate slice piece that would make somewhat of a statement.…but have you seen the price of larger ones…$$$! So I decided to DIY it.

I used a precut piece of underlayment that was 4×2 but you could get any size or cut your own. I white washed it with 2 coats.

For the frame I cut my 1×2 to size. Cutting the sides first and then the top and bottom. I put the top and bottom in between the sides so you need to take the length of the board minus the width of the sides. I stained the 1×2 with Classic Grey by Minwax.

Using my nail gut I nailed the 1×2 together at the joints. I then flipped it over and nailed the underlayment to the back of the frame.

Now I was ready to attach the Agate Slices! I used Epoxy that worked great. You have a 30 minute work time to make any adjustments and then it cures in 12 hours. So I just left it over night.

I just love the way it came out. I could not be happier! Just think, you could do this for so many collections like seagrass, seashells, trinkets etc.

You might have noticed that I also added a beautiful new rug to our dining room! I have been waiting 8 years to do this and I finally did it! I should have done this sooner because it just pulls the whole room together! You can find my rug and many other beautiful rugs at Boutique Rugs!

Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
Tara Boettger

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 5 comments
  • Grandmasue10 Grandmasue10 on May 17, 2021

Like you, I like a mirror to reflect something pretty. I don't understand why everyone seems to like the "open concept". I don't want my sink full of dishes visible to my living room. I like the old fashioned houses with doors.

• Isabel Guevara Robles Isabel Guevara Robles on May 19, 2021

Love this project, it's easy enough for me to accomplish! Can't wait to start the project! Waiting for good weather! Can't wait to get rid of the mirror!!

Next