Get rid of these weeds?

+10

I have no idea what this is, but it’s very invasive! It sends runners across the ground and also climbs like a vine. As fast I pull them, they’re back! Any way I can kill these without harming the good plants? Thank you in advance!

q get rid of these weeds
  • Flipturn Flipturn on May 23, 2021

At this point in time, as you also have other plants (that you want to keep) growing out of the same soil as the weeds, you will need to pull the weeds out. Try to poke down through the mulch a little ways, and pull them out so that the roots come out as well, not only the portion of the weeds growing above ground.

You could apply some weed killer on the leaves, but unless you completely kill or remove the roots in entirety, the weeds will continue to grow.

• Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on May 23, 2021

I have the same weeds in my garden. The roots don't go deep so use a hand trowel to dig them out. IF they are far enough from your flowers you can spritz them with vinegar & water. Do so on a sunny day for the fastest result but if you get vinegar on your flowers they will die off also.

• Ellis Ellis on May 23, 2021

Just keep pulling them out.

• I would try to schedule some time each day to pull them out daily and try to find where it is growing into the soil and pull that out as well. Invasive weeds are such a pain!

• Mogie Mogie on May 23, 2021

Any weed within a foot of my plants I pull by hand anything further away I spray with vinegar.

https://www.hometalk.com/43299149/all-natural-weed-killer

• Dee Dee on May 23, 2021

I have the same weeds. I know a real pain. I try to dig them out weekly. I have used salt and vinegar and weed killer if far enough from my plants. I have found putting newspaper down then mulch on top of the newspaper will kill the weeds.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on May 23, 2021

you can pull them up then spray the area with a weed killer to stop them from coming back

• Betsy Betsy on May 23, 2021

Hi Patricia: Oh, those vines! They are everywhere and pretend to be Morning Glories, but don't have flowers. I use the vinegar/soap/Epsom salts formula, along with pulling them up by the roots. The best time is after you water your plants or it rains. Just be sure you don't shake the dirt off back into your flower garden. The seeds are, sometimes, stuck to the roots, and you are just replanting them.

Here are some ideas and here's the vinegar/soap/Epsom salts formula:

BoraxI, it's very helpful for killing unwanted weeds. All you have to do is add 10 ounces to 2 ½ gallons of water, mix thoroughly, and spray onto the weeds thoroughly. Watching them wither away smugly, optional.

Cornmeal

The proteins in cornmeal – or specially-processed corn gluten meal – stop any seed from germinating and growing. You can also sprinkle cornmeal on grown weeds, it’ll kill them just as well as it’ll stop them from growing.

Vinegar

One quick way to get rid of weeds? Pouring or spraying a little white vinegar on the offending weeds. This acidic masterpiece is perfect for shriveling weeds, just be careful of your flowers. A little excess spray won’t hurt them, but accidentally pouring the same amount of vinegar on your flowers as your weeds could kill them. This did NOT work for me:(

Or, what I have used with great success:

Homemade Weed Killer:

The recipe I use is:

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy, sort of swirl it around.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes.

WEED KILLER WITH DAWN

1 gallon white vinegar

1 cup of salt

1 Tbsp liquid Dawn

Combine ingredients and put into a spray bottle and spray the weeds at the sunniest time of day.

This mix is very effective so make sure it doesn’t spray on something you DON’T want to kill.

Good luck

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide Lauren of Mom Home Guide on May 23, 2021

I would pull the large ones and also try spraying vinegar on any new ones.

• Patricia Patricia on May 23, 2021

Thank you everyone l!

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 24, 2021

If you are up for it, you can use an eye dropper or other very precise delivery (maybe a ketchup bottle) to drop vinegar on them at the roots.

• Vinegar will kill the weeds, but it will also kill anything the vinegar touches it. So I would keep pulling it out and the if the root is far enough away from the other plants, I would put some vinegar in the spots. If you think it came close to other plants, flush the area with water.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on May 31, 2021

I would put some thick tarp under mulch that will prevent weeds from growin up