How do I glue glazed ceramic to ceramic?

+17

I have a ceramic bird feeder that I want to glue to a glazed ceramic stool. The bottom of the feeder is not glazed. Will gorilla glue work or something like that? It will need to be waterproof as it will be out in the garden.

q how do i glue glazed ceramic to ceramic
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on May 24, 2021

I think your design will look lovely outside!

I'm sure using E6000 glue will hold outdoors BUT - I would suggest that you rub some chalk or something over the bottom of the bird feeder, setting it on the stool and twisting it a bit before you try gluing anything. This should leave some marks where both pieces touch.

Neither piece looks as though they have perfectly flat surfaces. You need to be sure there is enough surface area touching that the amount of glue used is sufficient to hold not only the weight of the bird feeder but also keeping it all in place while moving, cleaning, sitting on the uneven ground along with wind and weather.

If you think there isn't enough surface area of both pieces touching, you'll have to rethink what you will do. You could consider things such as taking a flat square of wood, sealing it for outdoors, and then gluing that square onto the stool. Allow it to dry thoroughly and then glue the bird feeder on top of the flat square. Doing this will give you lots more surface area to apply glue.

r

• Margaret Margaret on May 24, 2021

E6000 just like Robyn said!!

• E6000 is my choice too!

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on May 24, 2021

E 6000 a industrial grade clear glue or or a exterior construction adhesive might be considered.

• Em Em on May 24, 2021

There are construction glues in caulking tubes that are water proof and stronger than e-6000. E-6000 is good for small tasks but you will probably need something strong to hold these two shiny surfaces to stay in place. Ask at the paint counter for a tough one for outdoors.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on May 24, 2021

I also would look into the industrial strength / construction caulking for wet jobs such as bathrooms etc.

• William William on May 24, 2021

I love E6000 glue. Forget E6000 for this. Won't hold. Gorilla glue also will fail. You need to use a two part epoxy.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 24, 2021

Here's a "best glue for ceramics" article that might help you:

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-glue-for-ceramic/

• Here are 10 glues that will do the trick: https://www.ceramices.com/best-glue-for-ceramic-repair/

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on May 24, 2021

Construction Glues, like Liquid Nails, come in different formulas- so you'll be able to get an exterior grade.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on May 24, 2021

any type heavy duty glue that says glass or ceramic will work

• Janice Janice on May 24, 2021

I would try E-6000. The key to making it stay forever (or nearly forever) is to apply the glue to both pieces! After applying the glue to both piece, wwait several minutes before connecting the two surfaces together. Place something heavy on the top piece to insure you get a good bond. Let dry for 24 hours before moving.

• Annie Annie on May 25, 2021

I would be trying some masonry anchors. I dont think glue will hold

• Betsy Betsy on May 26, 2021

Hi Nancy: First of all I would sand both surfaces to get any glaze off and to make the areas a bit rough. Slick won't stick to slick :) Here's a chart all about glue:

https://lifehacker.com/this-glue-chart-guides-you-through-which-glue-to-use-wh-5875781

https://baileylineroad.com/exterior-adhesives-choosing-the-right-outdoor-glue/

You can also use loctite that states it for outdoor use and dries clear, or a marine epoxy glue.

Good luck

• Dee Dee on May 26, 2021

I would use Marine Glue, it is waterproof and would work well with your project

• I would go with a two part epoxy. Use gloves and a mask, but it will hold and hold up the weather.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on May 27, 2021

Epoxy is an option

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on May 29, 2021

I agree with epoxy

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on May 31, 2021

there are two ways .. either epoxy or e6000

• I'd go with epoxy.