How do I get nail polish streaks off car?

+13

have fine streaks of nail polish on the body of the car - close to the door handle. Paint on car has pearlized finish.

• William William on May 26, 2021

Use a Q Tip or cotton swab and Goof Off. Dab over the streaks getting as little as possible on the paint. It should soften the nail polish you can scrape off with a credit card. You can also try with nail polish remover. Bug and Tar remover from the auto parts store may work.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on May 26, 2021

Nora, I would first try a little light scrubbing with a magic eraser but honestly, I would just take it right in to your local body shop and get their opinion.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on May 26, 2021

I would call a body shop and ask them for recommendations to protect the paint and finish on your car

• That's happened to us, usually a little polishing compound on a rag will buff it away.

• This is regular paint scuffs, but my work for fingernail polish remover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzq5f8x5f4

• Dee Dee on May 26, 2021

Try rubbing alcohol, it should remove the nail polish.

• Betsy Betsy on May 26, 2021

Hi Nora: If you use nail polish remover, use the one that's acetone free. You can also use 2 parts of hydrogen peroxide and 1 part hot water. Soak a paper towel in it and then press it on the area for about 10 minutes and then it should rub right off. Or, white vinegar and a Magic Eraser.

Good luck

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on May 27, 2021

Hi! WD40 should remove it. It works on scratches, too!

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on May 27, 2021

You may want to contact an autobody place

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide Lauren of Mom Home Guide on May 27, 2021

You could try dabbing it very, very lightly with nail polish remover.

I agree that a Magic Eraser might work, too. But work carefully. I once used a Magic Eraser to get permanent marker stain off my kitchen table, and it removed some of the finish on the table!

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on May 27, 2021

Factory paint jobs are baked and clear coated. Go ahead and use the cheap nail polish remover (50% acetone).

I do light body work on cars and I use 100% acetone with no problems.

• Janice Janice on May 28, 2021

The same fingernail polish remover you use on your nails will work just fine. The only problem it might cause is to also remove any wax currently on the area.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on May 29, 2021

Nail polish remover

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 02, 2021

I would use the nail polish remover that takes off what is on the person's nails. That would be the ideal solvent for it. If gel, acetone would work, hopefully it will not ruin the clearcoat on the car. If you don't know what takes off that particular nail polish, WD40 should remove it, Use a microfiber cloth.

• You can definitely make use of nail polish remover or acetone and it will come right off, and immediately wash the area well to remove residue to ensure that there's no residue.