Easy Window Transformation

4 materials
$30

Ya’ll! I didn’t think some black spray paint could make a girl so happy, but man! I LOVE the way my windows look now!! All it took was some tape and a can of black spray paint! Taping is the worst part because I’m so impatient and just want to get going to the fun stuff - just me? All of the prep work is worth it in the end but I always want to rush through it so that I can move on to the real part of the project!

This picture shows the before. The windows are fine, just nondescript and kind of blend right in.

We used cling wrap and painters tape to protect the areas we wanted to stay white and then used this super cool product called Masking Liquid. I bought it on Amazon! You paint it on in two layers (this makes it easier to peel off later). Once the liquid film is dry, it turns clear, then you know you’re ready to paint!

The fumes were not awesome, not going to lie - but worth it! haha! We did have a little overspray, but other than our feet being a little black, there wasn’t any evidence anywhere else.

The fun part is the spray paint! I did 4 windows and probably used a can and a half or so? I only did one coat, and a second one in areas that I missed slightly the first time. I waited a little bit, until I couldn’t stand it and then scored the inside of the glass around the edges to make it easier to peel and PEELED THAT STUFF OFF!

It was actually very satisfying and the kids loved helping with this part! There is some scraping afterwards, and on the first window I had applied the film too heavily on the edges so that it wasn’t completely dry when I went to peel it off and it peeled some of the paint off. I’m just going to go back and touch those areas up though!

I left my hardware the same color because I really am loving the contrast between the black and that sort of antique brass look!

Progress picture above! Do you love it? Did I change your mind? Let us know if you decide to tackle yours too! I know I can’t wait to get my hands on the other windows in my house!

All materials are linked below :)

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 14 comments
Next