How to Make a Wood Cake Stand DIY

$50

I love this wood cake stand so much. It was such an easy DIY and I think you might want to make one for sure!

A few years I bought a wood cake stand that had beading and was painted white. I bought it at Magnolia in Waco and unfortunately they don’t sell it anymore. I get asked about the cake stand all of the time. So I decided to make one!

The DIY How to Make a Wooden Cake Stand

In the photo below, you can see the cake stand I bought at the Magnolia Market at the Silos. The top is a plain round wood piece, which you can also use if you want (it’s cheaper than what I used). It also has a very small candlestick as the base.

It looks as if the Magnolia cake stand is a simplified version of the one I made. Why does that not surprise me? I am sharing this so you know that there are a few different ways to make these.

DIY How to Make a Wood Cake Stand

If you look at the photo below, you can see how the cake stand is put together.

What You Need to Make This Craft

You can decide what size cake plate you want to make. Most of these wood materials come in all sizes so just decide what you want and make it! For a listing of lots of wood materials and sizes, click here.

• one unpainted wooden candlestick (4.5″ – 10″)
  • two small unpainted wooden plaques, one 4″ Wood Base, and one 5″ Wood Base
  • one large round wood plaque for top, 8″ – 12″, 8″ Wood Round
  • one bag of 3/8″ wooden beads
  • thin wire
  • white paint or stain and paintbrush
  • wood glue (I used Beacon Power Tac) but any wood glue would work.
  • polycrylic protective finish
one
two
three
four

one – gather your materials, as listed above

two – this is the order of the cake plate – 5″ circle on bottom (right side up), candlestick (right side up), 4″ circle (upside down), top wood circle

three – stack the pieces and with a ruler, draw circles to line them up on the piece below

four – glue the 5″ piece to the candlestick and glue the 4″ piece on top.

five
six
seven
eight

five – string some of the wooden beads and measure them to fit around the bottom edge of the candlestick

six – once you have the right number of beads, string one side of the wire through the next bead and pull tightly

seven – lift up the round wooden beads and apply some of the wood glue then press and hold until adhered

eight – attach the base to the top piece with the wood glue

nine
ten
eleven
twelve

nine – add beading around all edges, for a total of three

ten – once the beads are dry, pull out the wire and then get ready to paint

eleven – apply paint thinly to all areas on the cake stand (if it’s too think, just wipe it off)

twelve – once dried, cover with polycrylic protective finish

Cake Stand DIY

This is what your cake plate should look like! Doesn’t this just look amazing?

If you are enjoying my blog, you can sign up to receive my blog updates here. .

I love that the same cake stand looks so different in so many places in our home.

I can’t even imagine how great this will look with a gray stain or even painted a fun color! Pink perhaps??

Frequently Asked Questions
What are other uses for a cake stand?

A cake stand, originally known as a salver, was made to hold a cake (duh), but some of us rarely use them for cakes. I use them for desserts, muffins, and all desserts. I also use my cake stands as a decor item and you can find many of them throughout our home with lots of wonderful items stored on top.

This cake stand is a one of a kind and I am so happy how it turned out. It turned out better than I expected.

Links to the Items Shown in This Post

3/8″ Wooden Beads
5″ Wood Base
8″ Wood Round
4″ Wood Bases
4.5″ Wood Candlestick
Pillar Candle Holder
Mosser Glass 6″ Cake Plate
Mosser Glass 6″ Cake Plate
Mosser Glass 6″ Cake Plate

Similar Posts

Vintage Glass Cake Stands
How to Collect Vintage Cake Stands

Pin the image below to your decor boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!

For more real-time updates, follow me on Instagram @My100YearOldHome

ABOUT LESLIE

Welcome to My 100 Year Old Home. I started my blog so I could share my passion for entertaining, décor, cooking, and crafts. You will find all this and more right here. Read more…

My 100 Year Old Home

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 6 comments
Next