How to Propagate and Plant a New Pothos Plant

3 materials

The other day my mom gave me some Pothos stems that she had recently propagated. If you don’t know what propagating is, it’s when you grow new plants from an already established plant. This is done by cutting of one of the stems and placing it in a jar of water until it grows roots. Once the roots have sprouted you can then plant it and grow a whole new plant.

This is such a cost effective way to fill your home with beautiful live plants, and is also a lovely way to share new plants with family and friends. Below I explain the steps that I used to plant and propagate my new Pothos stems.

What you will need for this project is some Pothos stems that have grown roots, smalls rocks, potting soil, and a pot.

The first step is to place some rocks at the very bottom of your pot. This allows proper drainage and prevents the soil at the bottom of the pot from staying to wet and rotting your plants. If you have a self draining pot you can skip this step.

Then fill the pot with potting soil about 3/4 full.

Then take the stems and gently arrange them in the soil. You can see the new roots that have grown on this stem above.

Fill the pot the rest of the way up with soil being careful not to damage any of the stems. Make sure all of the roots are nicely covered. Give your new plant some water and watch it grow!

One of stems I had was very long, so I thought I would propagate it to even out the look of the plant, as well as to fill out my pot a little more while I waited for the plant to grow larger. To do this snip the stem about an inch bellow one of the leaves. You can use garden snips or a pair of very sharp scissors.

Then all you need to do is place the cutting in some water, making sure about an inch of it is submerged. Once the cutting has grown a few significant roots, it’s time to transfer it.

I love the way that my new plant looks on this shelf. I have recently discovered a love for live plants and am slowly wanting to replace some of my artificial ones with the real thing.

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 11 comments
Next