Diy Reusable Sponges

$5

I’ve spotted a few articles on the internet about how to make your own reusable sponges, so I thought I’d whip up a few for myself and try them out. I’m always looking for clever eco-friendly alternatives to household cleaners and supplies. Regular kitchen sponges are made from polyurethane foam, which is harmful to the environment, and they also harbor bacteria. These reusable sponges are a healthier choice and can be tossed in the wash when dirty. I also discovered they are easy to make and work like a charm!

(Affiliate links included for your convenience. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See disclosure here.)

supplies needed:
  • cotton fabric remnant
  • terry cloth remnant
  • quilt batting
  • upcycled vegetable mesh bag
  • rotary cutter & mat

step 1 – cut the fabric

With a rotary cutter and mat, cut one piece of terry cloth, one piece of cotton fabric, and two pieces of cotton quilt batting, each measuring 5″ x 7.5″.

Also cut one piece of mesh from a vegetable bag, measuring 5″ x 7.5″.

step 2 – stitch together

Place the terry cloth (for the back) on a flat surface, then place the mesh on top. Next place the cotton fabric piece (for the front) right side down on top of the mesh. Lastly, place two pieces of the batting on top.

Pin the layers together, then stitch around the four outside edges, leaving about 4″ open on one side, as shown below.

Trim seams and corners. Turn the sponge inside out. Finally, stitch around the outside perimeter of the sponge, making sure the open area is stitched closed. Then stitch a second square inside the first one, as shown below.

tips:

Although any fabric can be used for the back of the sponge, I prefer terry cloth because of its absorbency. I also prefer gray as opposed to a light color, as it is less likely to show stains.

The thickness of the sponge can be challenging to sew unless you have a dependable machine. I love my little Heavy Duty Singer. It’s inexpensive andt a real workhorse.

And there you have it! These nifty little reusable sponges are good for both the environment and your wallet.

The biggest compliment is a little share – pin the photo below!

Wendy at myfrenchtwist.com

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 10 comments
Next