How I Used Cedar Shake as an Cottage Style Accent Wall

$100

I have wanted to add some warmth and texture to this room. I love the paint and trim color but wanted to give the space more visual interest and a cottage/coastal feel. Then last week, we were adding some replacement pieces of cedar shake shingles to the outside, and a lightbulb went off! If I used it as an accent wall, it would look pretty and would add the perfect amount of cottage vibe.

Here is what the space looked like when we bought the house last Spring. Yikes!

So I was using leftover shingles I had from an outdoor project. I lined the cedar shake shingles along the wall to decide the pattern (cedar shake comes in different widths within the box).

I then used a pneumatic nailer (you can rent these from your nearest big box store) to attach the shingles to the wall with the thin side at the top. I made sure to nail them three inches from the top, where the next row would cover the nail holes.

I kept the rows going until……I RAN out of shingles!! Normally this would not be a big deal. However, if you have recently tried to DIY anything (wood products especially), they are shipping very slowly. Another box would be three to four weeks, and I couldn’t wait. We had Airbnb guests checking in later in the week. So I sort of “Hodge podge,” the last corner piece, and moved on to a plan “B.”

Before we get to plan B, First, I lightly hand sanded the shingles as they were a little rough. I then whitewashed the cedar. Whitewashing is a simple process that I have used before. Dilute some leftover paint with water and paint it on. I used three parts water to one part paint and wiped it on with a rag to apply.

I then went over it to add more color wherever I thought it needed more coverage and even it out.

Back to plan B. I had a little more than half of a wall covered with shingles, so what to do? I decided to add a plant shelf. A shelf would act as a stopping point and allow for more color!! Bonus win. I painted the shelf the same color as the wall trim (SW Morning Fog).

Here it is finished. YAY!

I love the texture and the look! And it smells WONDERFUL!

For more accent wall inspiration:

https://www.alifeunfolding.com/blog-1/2020/12/28/a-diy-mid-century-accent-wall?rq=mid%20century

Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
Libbie B

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions
  • Terry L. Harding Terry L. Harding on Jun 15, 2021

Love, love, love this!! One question I have is was your wall sheetrock? I'm wondering about nailing the shingles into sheetrock with no stud behind it?? Super job and I too love your floors!

• Jean Jean on Jun 18, 2021

It is so pretty. Love it. Good job 👏 how did you put the shelf on the wall. ? Thanks for sharing this.

Comments

4 of 12 comments
  • Dl.5660408 Dl.5660408 on Jun 18, 2021

What a beauty you made out of a disaster 🙀🙀🙀 Love the homie-ness you created, the lovely floors and end table. Then you added my personal favorites plants❤️

• Barb Orthmann Barb Orthmann on Jun 18, 2021

This came out amazing- well done!

Next