How to repair a picture frame?


how to cover a ding in a picture frame

  12 answers
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 15, 2021


    If the ding is on a wooden frame, you could place a damp piece of cotton wall onto overnight and let the damp be drawn into the wood to expand it, or maybe fill it with wood filler and re- finish to match.

  • Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jun 15, 2021

    Hi Lorraine, do you perhaps have a picture of the ding in your frame you could share?

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 15, 2021

    This link might help you:

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 15, 2021

    What material is the frame made out of - metal, wood, plastic?

  • Deb K Deb K on Jun 15, 2021

    Hi Lorraine, grab a small container of paint that is the same or close to the color of the frame and dab the ding until it is not so noticeable.

  • Mogie Mogie on Jun 15, 2021

    If the picture frame is wood that is as easy as finding a marker the same color and touching the frame up. Go with a shade that is a little lighter then the color you want to match. It is easier to apply more to darken then to remove when you applied too much.

  • Dee Dee on Jun 15, 2021

    Hi Lorraine: I have used acrylic paints, magic markers, wood stain. It will depend on how large a ding it is. Please post a photo it would help tremendously to try and help.

  • Betsy Betsy on Jun 15, 2021

    Hi Lorraine: Is there a possibility that you can remove the picture and tap gently on the ding to straighten it out? I'd do it on a folded towel and use a piece of wood that fits into the grove.

    Good luck

  • Maura White Maura White on Jun 16, 2021

    Can you send over a photo so we can see it? What material is the frame made out of?

  • Em Em on Jun 17, 2021

    Add some wood putty, sand and paint. If it is metal you can gently tap from the inside with a block of wood.

  • Annie Annie on Jun 19, 2021

    Any local hobby / craft store will have art crayons. Find the closest color and try to cover it up. Or perhaps a frame store could do the repair...

Your comment...