A Beautiful Brick Porch in One Weekend

$75

I stenciled my front porch to make it look like brick and I love it! It took one weekend and it was totally worth it!

(for the in-depth tutorial please visit my blog www.somethingpaintedwhite.com)

I’ve always been drawn to brick, brick floors, brick roads, brick walls, brick houses...the list goes on! I just love brick so I decided to make my own brick porch! (No bricklayers were hired for the making of my brick front porch!) 🙂

BEFORE

The first thing I did was give it a good cleaning…and by that I mean I hosed it off. No scrubbing, no concrete cleaner, none of that, just an inexpensive power sprayer and a long hose!

The only supplies I used were

1. paint
  2. foam roller
  3. stencil.
Very few supplies needed

The first place I laid the stencil was straight out from the front door in the center of the walkway as you enter my front porch. I suppose it doesn’t really matter but I thought that way I would be sure to walk out and see a full pattern, now that I type the words I’m not sure what I was thinking. But I’m going to stand by it. 🙂

Using my foam roller I rolled it into the paint and then rolled as much off of it as I could on the bumpy part of the paint tray. I’ve learned the hard way that too much paint on a roller causes bleeding under the stencil. It’s better to do light coats. Once I got started it really went pretty fast. It was a very warm day (most days are, it’s Phoenix!) and the paint was dry enough to just pick up the stencil, line it up with the guidelines, and start on the next section. The above photo shows what I had done in only about 15 minutes, I focused only on areas where I could get a full stencil pattern in without worrying about bumping into walls!

We’re probably at about 45 minutes here, once you factor in my age you realize that things start off great but then begin to slow down. But I kept going. I didn’t worry about the joints in the concrete I just painted over them. (my joints were a different story)

If you follow me over on Instagram @somethingpaintedwhite you know that I’m not a perfectionist. I try not to sweat the small stuff. Work smarter, not harder is my policy! 🙂

The rest of the story is really just a matter of lather, rinse, repeat! I think I spent a total of 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon working on this brick porch. That included the time I spent hosing off the porch too!

The next day I got back at it and it was a bit more work as I now had to do all the edges. In some cases, you can sort of roll the stencil up the wall and then try to hold it down flat against the floor with one hand, while you roll the paint on with the other hand. That was not THIS case!

My stencil was in pieces by the time I was done but that’s ok…I now have a gorgeous brick porch so it was totally worth it. All in all, it took me about 8 hours and I’d do it all over again because it’s so amazing!

I cannot even get over the difference. I love it so much! People walking by with their kids and dogs stopped to comment on it and everyone approved! Yay!

I’ll admit, I’ve noticed a few shoe marks here and there from my shoes, his shoes, the UPS man’s shoes….no big deal, they clean right off…and, may I remind you…don’t sweat the small stuff, it’s a porch! 🙂

I am absolutely in love with my NEW BRICK PORCH and if you’ve been considering it I highly recommend you just jump in and do it. You will be so glad you did!!!!

Happy Painting, ~Cindy~

Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 5 questions
  • Julie Julie on Jun 18, 2021

Is there a way to remove if I don’t like?

I absolutely love your entire porch!

• Susie McDonald Susie McDonald on Jun 18, 2021

This is the answer to a two year old argument between hubby and I. It’s the only design we both love. Thank you. Thank you.

oh BTW. We are just down the road from you. Sahuarita. (South of Tucson and the border).

• Ardale Ardale on Jun 20, 2021

Very pretty and I know it was a lot of work but I think I would have gone with a more brick color and possibly blended a couple of different colors using a sponge for a more rustic real brick look as well as being much easier to keep clean under foot traffic but that's just me. I know white, off white and soft grey are the "it" colors right now but for me outside I go with what will be easy to keep up with. Sorry I would have trouble keeping white that white especially on a floor with all the trees and leaves we have blowing around in the fall months in our yard for us it would be a nightmare. Did you know that Behr also makes a very good concrete stain that goes on like regular paint and holds tight for years under heavy foot traffic and requires no sealing coat ever? We cut grooves in our concrete patio to resemble a Terra Cotta tile floor then used Behr concrete stain on it and that was way back in 1995. We have only restained it once in all those years to refresh it. We do however have to pressure wash our patio every spring to remove tree sap which turns our patio black ( our yard is a forrest) but the concrete stain is still pretty once we're done as well as or metal patio furniture frames. This stain is like paint and comes in a lot of different colors but they can also custom make any color for you as well. It dries hard with a slightly satin finish and is water proof once dry. No need to ever seal it. We used a long patio roller to apply our stain since our patio is pretty large and the weather was already hot. It took me about and hour to finish the job from start to finish. This stain will thicken in hot especially sunny weather so you will want to work quickly before it gets to thick to settle out flat. On a job like yours I would apply it with a sea sponge and only pour out a small amount in a bowl like an empty cool whip bowl and tap your sponge lightly on a paper plate of old news paper and dab it on your stencil randomly using a base color and a darker color for accent here and there. Keep the rest of your stain tightly covered until you need more in your bowls. Both colors done while still wet will blend better then if you let one to dry first. Just remember the accent color will be the dark color and you won't use it as complete coverage just use it as a small accent here and their. This stain used in a solid color looks beautiful on front stoops or porches as well as sidewalks and you can use a color that will go with your house well. Can you tell I just love Behr paints and stains.

Comments

2 of 27 comments
Next