How to get burned hard black grease stain off of stove grates?

+5

How do I clean my stove grates with burned on spills from cooking ?

• DEE DEE on Jun 22, 2021

• Mogie Mogie on Jun 23, 2021

Step 1 Soak and Scrub the Grates

In a large bin or in the well of your sink, add enough hot water to cover the stove top grates along with a bit of soap. Dish soap is a great option as many brands are formulated to cut through grease, whether fresh or baked on. After they've been soaked for several minutes, use a metallic scouring pad to scrub baked-on grease. You'll likely not remove all of the residue in this step, but this should loosen up the stains and remove any large particles.

Step 2 Treat Grates With Ammonia

Next, move your grates into a large plastic bag or a receptacle that can be covered. Add about ¼ cup of ammonia to the bag or bin, cover it and let it sit for several hours — anywhere from three hours to overnight is recommended.

Step 3 Rinse, Dry and Treat Your Grates

Once the grates have soaked, remove them from the ammonia bath and rinse them well with warm water. This should loosen any remaining residue, although you may need to nudge stubborn spots with a scrubbing pad or sponge. Once they're clean, towel or air dry them before applying a thin layer of cooking oil to the bottoms of the grates, which will help with the prevention of rust.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 23, 2021

For each grate from your stove, put them in a gallon size freezer bag, add 1/2 cup ammonia and seal, let it set overnight. The fumes do the work of cutting the grease.

In the morning outside, remove the grate with gloves on, you need the fresh air for ventilation. Rinse off, if needed scrub or with hot soapy water. From my 4 burner stove I do 2 at a time so I have 2 to use for cooking.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Jun 23, 2021

Hi Dee

Here is info for you

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-clean-stove-grates-36818972

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jun 23, 2021

soak in hot soapy water with dawn dish soap for about 1/2 an hour

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 25, 2021

Hi Dee (Hi de ho, hi de hey old Cab Callaway song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgA6mTa40k) Anyway, back to your question:)

What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste and put it on the gunk. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. A lot of people don't know, but on most stoves, the door lifts off and the bottom of the oven (the oven floor) also comes off, as do the rails on the side that hold the grates. You don't have to take the door off to get the oven floor or grates out. Sometimes it's hard to get the door back on:) There is no smell and it is environmentally safe.

Good luck.

• Rymea Rymea on Jun 29, 2021

I'm pretty sure oven cleaner would work. Spray them an put them in a warm oven