Debi Willhoite
Debi Willhoite
  • Mount Dora, FL

DIY Angelic Organdy Ribbon Angel Wings

$0.00

I love angel wings and I got this itch to try to make some of my own for decorations on my Christmas tree. I had this vision in my head and tried to bring it to life. They came out even better than my vision.
I started with a cardboard box, several spools of organdy ribbon, some braided gimp, an old rhinestone earring for some bling, white craft paint, some fluffy feathers, and my trusty glue gun. I had everything I needed in my stash so they didn't cost me a thing. I loved them. They just look so heavenly! With Christmas right around the corner, I thought I would share. If you have about 5 hours to spare, you can make some for your Christmas tree this year!
diy angelic organdy ribbon angel wings, christmas decorations, crafts, diy, seasonal holiday decor
This little girl took 70 yards of organdy ribbon cut into 6" strips! I drew out the shape of the wings I wanted on a piece of cardboard from a box I had in the garage.
I painted the cardboard white with craft paint. Then I sat and cut my 6" strips of white organdy ribbon. Then I sat for several hours glueing 4 pieces of organdy ribbon on at a time starting from the bottom working towards the top. Because the ribbon pieces were curled from being wrapped on the spool, I place one curled down, then one curled up, then one curled down, and then one curled up, which gave me the four pieces I glued stacked on top of each other on the cardboard. That gave them this fluffy look. I worked both sides at the same time laying each group of ribbon on the cardboard, so I could make sure they would be even on both sides by laying them exactly in the same place on the cardboard. When I got to the top I took three long strips of the ribbon laying them on top of each other and twisted them around to frame the top. I added the braided gimp all the way around on the edge of the cardboard to cover the raw edges. I then added the feathers and the bling. I took one more single strip of the ribbon and made a loop to glue on the back to hang them on my tree.
I loved how the light reflects behind them on the Christmas tree at night! They were perfect!!!
The wing base (the cardboard) measured 10"W at the widest part of the wings x 8"L. The finished wings measure approximately 13"W x 12 1/2"L. From start to finish, it was about 5 hours.
This is the pattern I drew and cut of how I wanted the shape of my wings to look on the cardboard that became these sweet wings.
I made some shredded paper wings and used the same exact process to create these wings, just the materials were different. The tutorial shows me making the paper wings but following those directions will be the same for these wings. Give it a try....they are beautiful! If you have any questions leave a comment on the blog, and I'll try to answer asap! Enjoy!

Debi Willhoite