Dining Room Help - do you like this color? At first she didn't but it's growing on her. Wants to update curtains.

B1doyleMarlene HaighJeannie
+88

She's thinking cobalt blue and orange curtains. She wants to paint the cream china cabinet. Any suggestions?
Opinions on wall color (at first she didn't like but it's growing on her).  She wants to paint the cream cabinet (on the right) and update the beige curtains - she's thinking cobalt and orange.  Any thoughts or suggestions?
Opinions on wall color (at first she didn't like but it's growing on her). She wants to paint the cream cabinet (on the right) and update the beige curtains - she's thinking cobalt and orange. Any thoughts or suggestions?
What color would you paint this cream china cabinet?  She's thinking cobalt/orange curtains.
What color would you paint this cream china cabinet? She's thinking cobalt/orange curtains.
Wants to incorporate cobalt/orange into this room.  Thoughts?
Wants to incorporate cobalt/orange into this room. Thoughts?
Paint ideas for the cream china cabinet?
  • Lori J

I love it, but I would tend towards lace.

• Becky H

Everything is so crisp and clean, I'd hate to see orange curtains in this room. A pale shade of whatever you put on the china hutch would work, if you need color. Otherwise, I'd stick with white, but that's just my opinion.

• Sixteenfourteen

I like the paint color! I would paint the china cabinet white and use navy as a fresh contrast color {I'm not sure how cobalt and orange would fit in?}

• Rhoda V

Love the green, but I'm a green lover myself. If she wants to punch it up, use a high contrast color on that cabinet.

• This room seems to have some good natural light, and NO other patterns in the room. Consider a patterned fabric! (http://homeinteriorpicture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/green-curtain-accessories-home-interior.jpg) The green, dark woods and white are stunning that a few other accent colors could be thrown into the mix. Maybe just a few red accessories could really pop in the cream hutch.

• Susan B

I think that crisp white trim really begs for crisp white cotton curtains- keep the other colors in small glitzy hints like the bowl and pitcher. This beautiful green needs to sing out without competition. (: tough one with that cabinet, I actually like it as is to not overwhelm the stained glass.

• As usual - great tips all! I'll be sure to send this link to my reader!

• Doodles & Stitches

I think coral would be a cool accent... maybe something with a pattern using a lot of white and coral. I love the built ins and the green color. I'd paint the cream cabinet white or the accent color that she's using for the curtains. Keep the inside of the cabinet white.

• Gretta G

LOVE the color-used the same color in my own living dining room. My complementary colors are burgundy and a tawny brown, and some chocolate brown, with white trim like yours. I love it.

• Chris P

Love the color on the walls! I would probably stick to a white curtain, perhaps trimmed in an accent color and bring that same accent color out in a fruit bowl or other accessories.

• Jimmys K

put some more purple colour in the window it looks very good

• Sinkadoodles Decals

pretty room.

• Denise H

I would put white shutters on the windows, and maybe recover the chairs with a bold brighter color pattern. Use the bowl on the table as inspiration. Love the built ins keep them white.

• Somewhat Quirky

I'm not sure about the multi-color curtains but I think those colors would be primo on the chairs! Maybe just cobalt and white on the curtains. Really LOVE the color (of course! I'm a greeny!) Cobalt is a perfect accent color.

• Kathy C

luv the color... maybe orange and green curtains

• Donna S

I think you should keep the curtain color simple, meaning not a lot of colors. If you do cobalt and orange in the curtains they will scream look at me. I would put your bold pattern, plaid, paisley or whatever on the chairs and maybe a tie back or a trim on the curtains. I love the start, the color and the white furniture is beautiful. What paint color is that and what manufacurer? I am thinking about doing a bathroom in it. Thanks, Donna

• Sheila

I like the idea of a stained glass window haning in the window that is blues and oranges etc... also for the curtains why not a floral print in matching colors. Same fabric for doors of the cabinet. I'd also paint the cabinet white. matching table runner and placemats would soften things. I really like the green color also. I think more lighting would be good.

• Bernice H

I love this, it is clean and simple yet fun.and bold. I think (IMHO) to keep it simple, yes, do the chair covers, and put a TRIM in cobalt on the curtains, something more interesting as the centerpiece. I like the cabinet the color it is, but I bet cobalt would look great too. The cabinet plays off the chest across the room. This is really a pretty room! Do show us the finished project? Just reread some posts, yes she can put her blue inside the cabinet too, in accent pieces!

• Debra B

I love the color! I like the simplicity of the green and white. I might add one more color (I like the idea of cobalt) but I wouldn't go crazy adding a bunch of other colors - it looks good like ti is.

• Cydney

Green, white, and black......crisp and timeless!!!

• Project Style, LLC

A floral or stripe could include all the colors you want to incorporate!

• Judith G

I think the color looks very nice. Especially with the white. Go for the bold look with orange or blue curtains

• Helena @ Design Wotcha!

Love the green - which was voted #1 color for dining areas in recent house beautiful poll. Okay this picture is for a bedroom but it shows how good the suggestions above for using white and blue blinds would look. i would go plain white with simple blue trim (and if you like the valance add that too!) then i would recover the chair cushions in a geometric with blue as the dominant color. to finish the space off I would leave the cabinet outside white, but pick up the blue again by painting the backs (insides) blue - it will really pop through the glass....and color always looks good when added in threes... http://www.flickr.com/photos/designwotcha/6766307319/

• Redheadcandecorate.com

I love it!!!

• M A

Cobalt cabinet and sheer white curtains.

• Becky H

I'm wondering where Eclectically Village has disappeared to. It would seem there'd be a follow up posted on what is transpiring now.

• Pam

I just painted my kitchen a color very close to this and love it. I was thinking of green walls with black and white or cream accents.

• Alisa Inman

Love the green and white contrast - the white makes the green pop. I think adding some color to the chair covers would really give the room more color splash - maybe use the pottery on the dining table as inspiration for cushion color.

• Carol P

What about a black and white check curtain to the window and chair seats? Or totally go different and put up a nice material blind or roman shade.

• Jennifer rizzo

Love the fresh pop of color! I would love to see some b and w chevron in there!

• Lori J

Sure would love to know how this room turned out once the decision on window treatments was made.

• Bernice H

ME TOO! @Becky and Lori, and others...I really want to know of the final result/decision. We all had so much input and interest!

• Brenda M

I like navy for the china cabinet!

• Carol Hodge

I think I would also paint the small china cabinet white. A navy print on the chairs and curtains.

• I'd paint the cabinet blue!

• Kelley Wilson

Yes I love it, it's the same color as mine. I would leave the china cabinet white but paint the backs of the glass door cabinets a bright color like red or yellow

• Sharron W

I would paint the little glass Cabinet Turquoise to match the stipe from the pitcher and bowl set....and maybe cobalt and white drapes and cafe curtains for the windows...and I think I'd use more turquoise on the chair cushions, Orange would just be too strong in that small space...

• Jill Soghomonian

By keeping the cabinet white & introduciing a bold color with paint or with fabric/paper wallcovering, applied to the back wall of the cabinet, you'll obtain the color you're looking for & accent the whole wall unit

• Donna

I would paint the cabinet white to keep it consistant, the inside of the cabinets a light turquoise and cover the chairs in a plaid as well as a small cornice over the window. Or leave windows open or use plantation shutters to keep the room light since the wall color is so dark. Be sure to let us see the finished project.

q dining room help do you like this color at first she didn t but it s growing on, home decor, painting, Benjamin Moore s Celestia Blue Dark Celery Space Black and Snow whiteq dining room help do you like this color at first she didn t but it s growing on, home decor, painting, Nicholsons Muted Tartan in olive turquoise and black
  • Project Style, LLC

Take the drapery rod higher to draw your eye up when you replace the drapes.

• Robyn H

I would love to see some poppy and brown in a floral or bold chevron pattern on the chair cushions.

• Cocoinbonita

I like the color and I am thinking of this color for my new kitchen....

• Janice W

I like the color. Needs new drapes with some color in them and a few accessories with a contrasting color to make it all pop. Red items would be good or bright yellow.

• Wanda

Pull in blue!

• Rhonda Angeroth

black and white check curtains

• Sharron W

I really like the Cobalt blue with this beautiful spring green color...and aqua....

• ReRe

OH WOW !!! This is awsome .... i love the colors

• Gail Salminen

I love the colour, really sets off the white cabinets. For curtains I would suggest a pattern, either geometric or something simple with leaves. The curtains should have some of the wall colour in it as well. If there is another colour in it you could coordinate your cabinet with that, so perhaps find the curtains first, and I love SheilaG's suggestion of ceiling height. Otherwise you might consider white with the wall colour interior for the cabinet or variation of that colour. Would love to see the final outcome. You have done a great job so far :)

• House Crazy Sarah

I LOVE that green color!

• Linda

stain the cabinet dark to match table or paint it white ,love the room color

• Christy S

love it white cotton curtain

• Bobbie Long

just add some dishware or accessories in those colors. The green and white are good basic colors to play off of. Placemats, a runner, a vase or two on the shelves are cheap and easy things to change out.

• Suzy Myers

Paint the cabinet the pale blue color that is in the bowl & pitcher. The pale blue will complement the stained glass in the cabinet and will balance out the room. Use a small print on curtains with the green, pale blue and orange on a light background. If you still want the cobalt blue pick up some candle sticks, glasses, plates, pottery to add to the built in and the cabinet.

• Julie Moyna

I think some dark brown and yellows as well. I'm not a blue person but I'm sure whatever you highlight with will be adorable. My BFF has every shade of green in her home. It works with so many colors

• Lynn Jordan

THE AQUA BLUE IS A GREAT SUGGESTION BECAUSE IT GOES SO WELL WITH THAT GREEN!!! THEN MAYBE CHANGE THE COLORS ON YOUR SEATS TO MATCH BUT IN A DIFFERENT PATTERN WITH THE BLUE N GREEN. AS FOR THE CABINET MAYBE WHITE IF YOU WANT TO BE FORMAL OR THAT BLUE IF YOU WANT IT TO POP,,, BUT IT DOES LOOK OK THE WAY IT IS. IF IT WERE MINE I"D DO IT BLUE (: OR THE ORANGE YOU MENTIONED WOULD MAKE IT POP TOO. PLAY WITH COLOR CUZ YOU CAN ALWAYS CHANGE IT EASILY RIGHT!!! WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOOSE.

• Brenda De Lair

I love the colour. It is actually the colour of my bathroom. Your whole room is fresh and bright. Personally I would put up white cotton curtains and leave the rod to the height of the built ins. I would also paint the cabinet white. That would carry the white around the room creating balance. You could also paint the back of your cabinets (all of them) in another colour, perhaps a sky blue. I am picturing a granny apple orchard on a bright sunny day with green apples and grass, blue skies, and white billowy clouds. You can accent with some of the colours in your pitcher and bowl on the table. Have fun and please let us know what you decided.

• Julie Rice

The white cabinets and trim look great with that green. Paint the china cabin the same white if you plan to paint it. Bing some f the green color into the curtain and it will look great.

• Kyla Wootton

I did this green color with turquoise, gray. I added navy blue curtains. I have black floors and it feels very modern but retains a warmth and playfulness.

• Kyla Wootton

Here is my room with that green color, and the gray and turquoise.

q dining room help do you like this color at first she didn t but it s growing on, home decor, painting, This my music room dining room We mixed the green with a gray and a turquoise wallq dining room help do you like this color at first she didn t but it s growing on, home decor, painting, This is the armoire turned craft closet I painted it the gray of the accent wallq dining room help do you like this color at first she didn t but it s growing on, home decor, painting, This is our homeschool area The floors are black and we find the room to be at once stimulating but easy to be in
  • Barbara

change the fabric on the chairs to incorporate the orange she wants

• Designs By Lynn

I would Definately paint the chairs, probably the cobalt blue and then get a bold fabric with blue/ orange or green to cover the cushions. Right now the white on the chairs blend too much with the moulding. Curtains I would do a white with orange geometric shape. I would stain the cabinet the dark color of the table. Paint the back of the cabinets inside behind the shelves orange. I would Definately get a rug with all the colors incorporated in it, and use the blue and orange, yellow, to accessorize with decor in the cabinets, plates, etc.

• Designs By Lynn

@colleen, the cabinet I would stain, I said to make it match the table but I think a med stain color so it looks like a unique antique piece. I think pianist it a bright color would be to overpowering for the room. You could play with the shelf color and background color inside the cabinet. Maybe rough it up a bit to really give it the vintage look. Everything else will be bold and bright, it will be a nice eclectic piece,

• Donna

my suggestion is to paint china cabinet black and keep inside light, put colored dishes ect inside to tie in witness new drapes.

• Betty

I would go with a floral curtain with the colors that you are wishing to incorporate blues, orange, green, yellow and even some red. Recover the chairs is the color that you want to pull out of the curtains the most. Paint the cabinet with orange chalk paint. Can't wait to see what you decide

• Aniko Lightworker

I think a black china cabinet would be a nice balance. White shutters on the bottom half the windows would be beautiful. I would save colorful dishes for the center of your table, where you want your eyes to rest. I love this color. We have it in my husband's office/mud room. Here is a photo I saw today that I loved. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=643164212409700&set=a.128908803835246.19702.128847517174708&type=1&theater

• Aniko Lightworker

Inspiration photo. Saw this today. Don't love the pulls but love the balance.

q dining room help do you like this color at first she didn t but it s growing on, home decor, painting
  • Jmarie813

Pale orange-like in the pitcher,or not too bright yellow.

• Janis Hill

These drapes or something similar would be perfect: http://www.houzz.com/photos/829367/Geo-Panels---Sunset-Orange--curtains- I would paint backs of the built in china cabinets cobalt blue then paint the cream china cabinet the same color: cobalt blue. I would change the flowers on the counter out for the pitcher and bowl the owner already owns or either a cobalt blue vase or a blue and white vase. The wine would go on top of the china cabinet and I would hang a fun picture similar to the attached above it. Fun new chair pads and a few accessories placed strategically and the room will be perfect! Oh...one other thing. The drapery panels should be hung high and wide to make the most of the windows> Hope this helps!

q dining room help do you like this color at first she didn t but it s growing on, home decor, paintingq dining room help do you like this color at first she didn t but it s growing on, home decor, paintingq dining room help do you like this color at first she didn t but it s growing on, home decor, painting
  • Cathy Lothamer

I would not paint that cabinet, rather introduce accent colors by changing the cushions on the chairs and use pottery and table accessories. The curtains would be too overpowering in a dark color. Someone said long white curtains.....I agree, maybe use colored rings. This is a wonderful room, love it.

• Tonya Williams

Actually, I love the color. Our master bath is Green Apple and at first I didn't like it, but I love it now. I used black and white accents.

• Marlene

Black looks nice with the green. Then wood blinds in the table top, and fan color. Maybe with some sheer curtains, in a pattern, for daytime sun.

• Sarah Peck

I would go with a charcoal black for the cabinet, lightly distressed. Keep the inside white. New long drapes in crisp linen white or white background with a bold black print and tinge of green and/or orange.

• Sharon

I looked at fabric and found the ones with all 3 colors too busy. I would choose cobalt & green Then, maybe use a print with all 3 for the chair cushions. I would also make a roman shade for the short window on the other wall. I would also add bright colored flowers in the vase. I would paint the cabinet white but either use a printed wallpaper (attach to foam board so its changeable) in back or paint the back blue with orange accent pieces inside or the reverse. I also think silver or gray would work too. I also think the table is too dark. A white table cloth stenciled at the edge with fabric paint in her colors would be great. Unless she's willing to paint it! It's ok to use bright colors as long as they're balanced. Even still, my daughter had this color in her bedroom with black & white & loved it, her fiancé hated it. She should love it, and not worry too much about others. That's what makes her style her own. Good luck.

• Debby

Love the way it is!

• Lori

My favourite colour right now, that green, it's so alive and happy. What about painting the cabinet white but incorporate the blue and orange of the curtain colours inside it on the back and shelves somehow?

• Bea Snelleman

Look toward your little jug on the cabinet. All your color choices are right in front of you. There are complimentary colors right in front of you

• Marion Nesbitt

Love the look of the built-ins, woodwork, and freshness of the green paint in this room.. I think I would paint the china cabinet to match the other cabinetry to keep the airy feeling. I would put mirrors on the shelves of the china cabinet. Love Betty H's idea about floral curtains and pulling one of the colours for the chair cushions. .

• Lyn Therese

@Marion Nesbitt I think mirrors are a great idea but with the glass doors on the cabinets, you would lose the reflection some what but how about in the center of the cabinets? Like a back splash. The light from the windows would brighten that wall even more.

• Lyn Therese

I love this look. I would paint the china cabinet white. Then bring in vibrant colors as accent colors. I always think green as a neutral color....an earthy color. I have the same thing in my dining room and brought in an orchid pink and black as a contrast color. With my accessories and my plants, it all ties in. I think you could use gemstone colors.

• Lynn

I would put up floral curtains with the green in them, then you could consider painting the inside back of the cabinets with a color that is in the floral curtains to draw everything together. That cabinet is gorgeous.

• Designs By Lynn

What is the final look that you went with?

• Susanpoole1711

Keep the green walls, Accent thru patterns w/ colbalt and orange. Use more orange in accents than colbalt. Like Bea S said, the colors are really in the pitcher on the cabinet, that I also agree should be white. The inside of the cabinet could however be a soft yellow compliment to the pitcher. Drapes in orange, but with some yellow also.. It would be awesome if the pattern in the pitcher could be repeated somehow throughout room; either in edging in curtains, and/ or on seats. More color in cabinet objects using the colors in pitcher. Good place to add some more cobalt, repeat the green, etc.. However, I'm having a problem visualizing a south of the border flavor in a country kitchen dining room.

• Debby

Paint the china cabinet white white micro shades love the way it looks add cobalt floral arrangement on table no orange good luck!

• Candace Boyer

Black all the way! Green and black together look sophisticated and classy.

• Jeannie

Since it is now June 30th, I assume she finished the kitchen remodel. Can you show us how it turned out?

• Marlene Haigh

bring in the blue definitely

• B1doyle

Use chairs that have upholstery, like parson chairs, and make them the one of the colors, and then use some other accessories for the other color. Flowers in one of the colors would look nice, too.