Crystal @ Urban Patina
Crystal @ Urban Patina
  • Shakopee, MN

Misfit Dresser Makeover

You can't tell from these after pictures, but this dresser was in pretty tough shape when I hauled it home. This was one of those projects that I regretted taking on from day one because it needed so much TLC. After letting the misfit dresser sit in the garage for several months I finally got the nerve up to tackle the issues this past week
misfit dresser makeover, chalk paint, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
I started by glueing, clamping and filling the drawers. Not my favorite part of a makeover, but a necessary step.
While they were drying, I gave the body a quick coat of ASCP-Duck Egg Blue.
Then I tried to fit the drawers in place only to realize that the repair work on one of the drawers just wasn't working out so well. After I exchanged a few choice words with the problem drawer---I simply had to toss the problem child. {sometimes there is nothing I can do to fix some of these pieces and I have to move on to plan B} Plan B in this situation was to use some plywood and make a shelf in the vacant space. I was lucky to find a coordinating fabric to line the shelf with and make it look more finished.
After I gave the top a light sanding I used Minwax Tung Oil to give the wood a natural look and feel, while protecting and highlighting the beautiful wood grain. You can pick up Tung oil at most hardware stores, I picked mine up at Home Depot.
My next lucky break was when I found three baskets that fit perfectly on the new shelf I had made. {maybe this misfit was going to turn out after all}
And finally, I had these gorgeous ceramic knobs in my arsenal of hardware. I think these look better then the original pulls.

To see more: http://urbanpatina.blogspot.com/2014/08/duck-egg-dresser-up-do.html

• Trish

I love this SO much. Do you remember where you got your ceramic knobs?
  • Regina Hemp

Hello:) You only mentioned Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue. My question is, did you use any wax over this to achieve the Antique look?

I would like to repaint a brand new bathroom vanity I recently bought because I don't like the color. I was leaning away from Chalk paint or Milk paint because I don't like the idea of having to wait 20 to 30 days for it to fully cure.

Would you be able to tell me how to antique a piece of painted furniture using regular paint? I don't want it to have that messy antique look, but more of a soft subtle look.

I was drawn to your project because I was thinking of painting it a very light blue and was hoping for a medium brown antiquing overlay.

Thank you. Anything you can share would be appreciated.

Regina S. Hemp
  • Rena

Where did you locate the baskets. I’m having a difficult time finding the size i need for my flipped dresser.

• Teri

Love it!!
  • Lori

yea my Q is >> do you work p/t > f/t? LOL i would give my left foot (couldn't give my arms/hands cuz then I'd most likely have to give up my dreams of 1 day being able to do these type of projects) to be able to do this sort-a thing! its georgeous, i think it would look magnificent as my entry way pc hahaha no! really clap clap to you bc i think u do a super good job!