No. 29 Design
No. 29 Design
  • Belmont, MA

Wall of built Ins out of IKEA Hemnes cabinets

When renovating my basement I knew I wanted a wall of built ins. Keeping my budget in mind I created that feature using IKEA bookshelves from the Hemnes line. Visit www.no29design.com for more details, pictures and ideas!
design and decor, basement ideas, home decor, shelving ideas, storage ideas
Before any work was begun we finished our semi finished basement. Overhead lighting, storage closets and a laundry room were all added to the space. Since this would be the family room I wanted lots of storage as well as display space, and don’t forget the television!
Once the major construction was complete I had a 17 foot wall to create a storage and media unit. I measured about 20 times to make sure I had it right and then purchased 5 pieces from the IKEA Hemnes line.
I purchased units to hold books, games, movies and music. The display shelves hold baskets as well as accessories.
The bookshelves were spaced out to cover the entire 17 foot wall, then finished off with trim and soffits. The gaps between each unit aren’t noticeable with the trim and a fresh coat of white paint.
The space where the wall mounted tv was to be hung was finished with a board and batten pattern to match the rest of the room.
Shelf liner was added to the back of the bookshelves. This helps add some texture to a whole wall of white!
I now have a huge storage and display wall. It is the focal point of the entire room.
No. 29 Design

• Erelene Collins

This totally awesome! But, what did you do with the supports in the middle of the room? Thanks.

• Carol J

if you look to the left of the picture it looks like they covered them to look like columns,the whole job is awesome!!

• P. Garcia

I believe they are behind the person taking the photos. I don't see anything to the left. Am I blind???

• Brenda Flatt Lilley

If you look at the picture that has the sofa in it, you can see at the bottom left corner a tiny wedge view of what is probably a column hiding one of the posts.

• Roz Sterling

Make pillars

• Marilyn Beatrice

the steps are gone also ? or did they put them behind a door ?

• Cheryl Morris Siciliano

Beautiful job. Just wondering, did you have any help?

• Judi Hamann

How much did this cost?

• Judy Johnson Wilson

She mentions at the begining of the post, cost $2000.

• Roz Sterling

$2000

• Alanna Rossi

It maybe cost 2000$ at IKEA but not for that whole Reno... No way! Just in flooring, furniture and television they are way over 2000$. Just the IKEA shelving is around 1500$ plus tax. So the 2000$ is solely on one wall without counting the television. Quite misleading.

• Karla

The article is only about the bookcases looking like built-in not about the entire renovation so the $2000 is not misleading at all.

• Karen

The intro specifically refers to "a wall of built ins", and that's the project outlined and presumably the costing detailed, not the entire basement Reno. There isn't anything stated that indicated the project/costing was for the entire renovation.

• Nan5554155

More than it could have been built from scratch.And the pieces will warp in no time.Also must consider how hard it may be to get all pieces same height

• Complete Solutions

You are so wrong. IKEA is not going to warp and this could not have been stick or custom built for less. It would have cost at least twice as much.

• Carrie Morin

Where are the stairs in the after? Also, I don't see the wall heating in the before, only the after. Was that put in after??? And where is the little window? These before/after don't make sense???

• TRCS

just a guess, but the unfinished basement looks very large so my guess is they made a room on the left side (from stairs to back wall) including the small window. Possibly to enclose the plumbing near the floor. That could be where the door leads to. As for the heaters, you can see in one pic the new box that it came in, so my guess is it was added. When the new pics were taken, they could have stood just about where the posts are so you don't see the stairs

• Carrie Morin

That must be it...I am really finding it hard to orient myself in the after compared to the before because of the lack of 'permanent' structures. The room looks great...but I can't make sense of where this is placed in relation to the before picture.

• Donna Valentine

I agree, the pictures are very confusing.

• Bonnye Reed Fry

Don't forget that they added a laundry room....

• Jacquienina

I believe that the stairs are behind the newly added door - and there is a baseboard heater on the right on a newly added wall.

• JA

The stairs are to the left of the closet & laundry room doors. The window is in the laundry room. The area that was started with was huge. I think it looks like walls had been put up on the far left side with the window, To create the laundry room & closets.Baseboard heater was added.

• Gena Larsin Stillday

It looks to me like the room was divided and a wall was built along the support poles, then the shelving and cabinets were installed on the new wall, which look to be about the right depth to fill in the remaining space to the stairwell. They said they created additional spaces, like a laundry room, etc, so I would assume those spaces are on the other side of the new built-ins.

• Seadra Kay Ponvert

What's confusing? You can see the beam's by chair. They framed them. Stairs are probably behind door. It's not a pic to focus on new basement. It's to focus on wall.

• Kelly Jesme Thygeson

Where did the support beams go?

• Shannon Ress

Hi! I love what you did with this wall and I want to do the same in my basement. I was researching the products at Ikea and it came to my attention that the bench is deeper than the shelving units on the sides. What did you do to get them to be flush? Did you pull the shelving units off the wall a bit? And if so how did you anchor them to the wall? Thank you!!!!

• Sus

Looks great. My question is why would you have a door opening in, with no door stop, where the knob would hit a glass bookcase door??

• Tom Greenlief

I have a couple of places in my home that I wouldn't want a visible door stop too because it would ruin the aesthetic... I purchased invisible door stops from Amazon that are just as effective and

, This is the product I purchased They work very well
    • Judy

I also have doors with no door stop. That is probably the laundry room and she'll be the only one opening it and will remember to be careful. Or as Tom said it could also be an invisible door stop.

• Cwf9082792

What colour paint did you use for the trim?

• this looks like a diff basement where did all the support beams go? and where did that door come from?

• Jaci Woodruff Schrag

It looks to me like the support beams are in line with where the pictures were taken. The photo with the sofa in it has what looks like part of a beam behind the sofa. My guess about the door is they framed out the wall to cover that drain pipe sticking out. They put the door for access.

• Judy

If you read it again you will see that she said they built in a closet and a laundry room that is probably covering the beam way over to the left. Like Jaci said it looks like there is a framed in beam behind the sofa and the other is probably over to the right but not showing.

• Felix Rivera

I would agree with your assumption Judy. There is a way to remove those steel columns but it would entail a lot and starting around $50,000. removing support columns is not and inexpensive endeavor.

• Lesley Parnell McMillien

It says once the major construction was finished ...I think $2000 was for finished wall unit ..

• Amanda Harrison

Was it legal to remove the window? Did you add another place to egress?

• Karen Morris Corbett

I think that you are thinking of a bedroom. There is no rule on windows and basements (at least in my state - but it probably depends on the state). That window is much too small to get in and out of.

• Kylie Krupowicz

Depends on the state .

• Terry Heath Zalewski

Probably behind the doors that created a closet

• Peggy Van Aller

She did mention adding in a laundry room, which makes sense with that pipe sticking out of wall in that before picture, so my guess is it could be in the laundry room.

• Pamy Kolaritsch

See the door beside the unit in the finished pics? Those windows are in the room that was added.

• Jenn Cunningham

No way one egresses from a bitty little basement window. They're just there for light and airing out the room.

• Wbean

Looks like you boxed around the pipes/support beams and created pillars and arches. Is that what you did?

• Jeanette Stefanik

look in first pic and see beam running across ceiling, look in 2nd pic and you can see the beam

• Tre11366056

How did you install the moldings to make it look like is a custom built-in?

• Justine

My question is, the beam and bars? You put your bookshelves etc right under it, so itd blend in but what about the huge gap behind the shelving unit?

• Kit Kat

It looks like they only used part of the space in their basement for this room, then perhaps they are going to do something else with the rest of the space. (storage, laundry, bathroom, etc.)

• Rachel Radue

The beam is not on top of the bookshelves. Totally different area. Look at these closeup, there is free space up above before they trimmed it out. No beam.
      , No gap, No beam free open space all above
  • Kathee

Did you paint the IKEA furniture? I was there yesterday and noticed the pieces where not a true white. More a cream colour. If you did How?

• Tre11366056

How has the IKEA furniture held up? Have you had problems with it? My sister is an agent for a well known international & domestic moving company & she said that IKEA furniture does not hold up well...it made me hold off on buying from IKEA since they just opened an IKEA store here in Vegas...instead I opted to buy stainless steel appliances first b4 starting any other DIY projects in the kitchen!

• Shawna Bailey

You can't move them, but they hold up pretty well if you don't. The second you move them they get jostled and won't stay together the same way

• Tre11366056

Thanks!

• Viola Paugh

My ikea cabinets have been moved 2 times and they held up well. You need to remove the shelves and doors and make sure you place them flat with nothing on top of them. We moved them ourselves from WV to SC in a uhaul truck!

• Nice ankles

My experience is that they do NOT hold up. Did a complete bonus room in IKEA units although the units were up against a wall and installed by IKEA contractors the backs came loose. They look great but are not very strong in my opinion.
    • UR

We have moved the exact same cabinets twice and they are fine. Just do some prep as mentioned by Viola. The Hemnes line is one of the better made line Ikea makes. Their Billy line stands up well also.
    • Elaine Guilfoyle

I have moved Ikea bookshelves and wardrobes five times now and they are still as good as new.
    • Veronica Niechajczyk

We moved our three bookshelves many ,many times and they've held up just fine. Nothing loose, nothing weak. We have two open and one with the glass doors. They even came with us across the country from IL to WA.
    • C

I would take them apart and box them before moving. I did this with some glass doored book cabinets and I took step by step pictures as I took them apart. Good thing, because by the time I got to my new home, I had totally forgotten how to put them together. I was sooo glad I had a picture tutorial.
    • Judy Matheny Myers

My IKEA stuff has held up great. I have a whole kitchen with some other pieces going on 9 years.

• Ter7356306

What happened to the copper/metal support(?) beams?????
  • Jenn Cunningham

What is the name of the middle unit, the one that is not used in multiples?

• Mimi

How much in total did you spend with these units? I would love to do this depending on the price but my wall is not that big Just 9ft wide by 7 ft 9inches tall but would like to use some is these units

• Cheryl

So $800 total for the glass door cabinets on each end...those would be about 6ft wide...& would be 6ft almost 5 inches tall

the tv unit without the wood top is $249 and is 6 ft wide. I hope the pictures help

• Cheryl

Last picture

• Mimi

How many Inches did you add to the top and the bottom so it would look like it was custom-made from the IKEA cabinets

• Becky

I think this looks absolutely FABULOUS!!! The only thing I see missing is a BIGGER TV!!! Seriously, it is beautiful! If I didn't live in a rental and was on my way to home ownership I would LOVE to hire you to make this for me! WELL DONE!!!

• Neli

Excellent!!