Nancy W
Nancy W
  • Gadsden, AL

My New Dining Table Made From a Shipping Crate- FREE

Started out with just sides of a shipping crate.
my new dining table made from a shipping crate free, diy, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
This was my table before. It was way too little, so I had ben trying to figure out the simplest and cheapest solution.
I used the base of my old table for my frame. I made the legs farther apart to support this monster table top.
There was 1X4 strips already around the outer edges, so that was one step I didn't have to do. After that it was simple to screw the table top on.
I looked at it for a few days wondering whether to spend a lot of time sanding/staining. Then it hit me. Why not just use a sponge technique and make it look like granite. So I began my coats of Paint- 8 colors total.
I used white as the base coat. Then some country blue, copper glaze, yellow and black. I used a shoer scrunchy to apply my paint. Last I applied white and right before it was completely dry I went over it and blended the white all over. Lightly rubbing until I got the right coverage. It takes the edge off the colors and gives it a softer look.
It's nothing fancy, but it turned out as I wanted. The table is 4 ft wide and 9 ft 6 in long. With my bench built it will seat 10.
I used 3 doors to make my bench. I'm going to cover the top with a cushion to match my chairs. Now I'm ready for my family to come for the Holidays.