Kellie Taylor
Kellie Taylor
  • Jackson, GA

DIY Large Cable Spool Wall Clock

I've always wanted one of those huge wall clocks, but they are so expensive. I've seen clocks made out of those big cable spools on Pinterest. I came across two of them and decided to make one.
diy large cable spool wall clock, diy, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
They are very easy to take apart. They are put together with nuts and bolts.
I sanded them down really good. I decided to use the inside face of the spool. Then my husband and I bought some stain from Home Depot. The color we chose was Provincial. I made two at a time. One for me and one for my mom. I made hers a little darker.
Here it is after we sanded and stained it.
I wanted Roman numerals on my clock. I couldn't find any stencils, without having to order them. I bought a galvanized piece of sheet metal from Home Depot for $6. I used tin snips to cut 4" by 1/2" strips, for my numbers. I also bought furniture nails from Home Depot to attach the numbers to the clock.
I used my dad's protractor to cut circles big enough to cover the middle hole. That's also what the clock mechanism and hands attach to.
I spray painted the strips, circles, and tacks using Rustolem Hammered Black, purchased from Home Depot.
I had to order the clock hands and mechanism off ebay. They are the 14" clock hands with the high torque kit. Our clocks are 36" in diameter. They were $23 a piece. They were the most expensive piece of the project. The hardest part of this project, was trying to figure out where to put all the numbers! While my dad was doing geometry calculations, my mom and I googled it. Turns out, it was so simple! All you do is install the clock mechanism and hands first. It came with instructions. It was very easy. After that, you put your number twelve on, where you want it to be. Without the battery in, you set both hands on the "twelve." You then, turn the hands until you get to "3:00." You attach the three. Turn until you get to the six spot and attach it. Turn until you get to the 9 spot and attach it. Then turn it until you get to 1:00, 2:00, 4:00,5:00,7:00, 8:00, 10:00, and 11:00. The hour hand points to where it needs to go!
Here is my finished clock. I have not hung it up yet. I will make sure to hang it in a stud. It's pretty heavy. It works great! The whole project can be completed in a weekend.

• Ashley Gates Sheldon

We are mak8ng one of these for our mom for xmas...what did you use on the back to hang it!!? They are way heavy no nervous what to use!!! Tia

• Brianna James

I need this clock in my life! Did you just call an electrical company for the spool? Do they just give them away or are they a bit pricey?

• Mumandp

Depending on where You live they can vary in price when comparing the need and availability. If You have sites like used.com or varage sale in Your area You can post an ad seeking Spools of various sizes. On Van. Island, non of the Utility Companies will sell to everyday citizens so We have to look to Business People that deal in Pallets and Spools to purchase them. Be aware though there are those that will charge way too much. I have purchased from Marlo Lewis of Nanaimo BC from The Acquired Pallet and He is very reasonable and dismantles the spools for free. I was able to purchase a 4 foot for $50.00( both ends), whereas My Sister went to someone else and paid $50.00 each for two 3 foots.........She was so mad!!!!!!! So the old adage of buyer beware applies here!!
      If You are fortunate like I was and are able to find a reputable dealer enjoy repurposing, reclaiming, and revamping the spool into something perfectly YOU!!
      In September We are taking a Spool making class down in Victoria.......SO EXCITED!!! Promise to post pic.'s of all the steps and the finished looks!!
      Thanks for Your time and energy and enjoy the remainder of Your Summer.
      Blessings from the North,
      Michelle
  • Rhonda Donnelly

Would you mind telling me the sellers name on ebay that you buy your hands and mechanism from?

• Eri3942049

Would love to know the site you ordered the clock parts from. Thanks!

• Heather Ekre

How do you get the mechanism out to change the battery?

• Heather Ekre

How do you change the battery on the clock?

• Kellie Taylor

You don't have to take the mechanism out to change it. The battery is exposed on the back of it. It's easy.

• Arlie Turner

check out Klockit.com for hands and movements. They aren't too expensive.

• Jacinta

Where did you find the cable spools?

• Kevin Minister

Anywhere you can, they are harder and harder to come by these days...

• Suzanne Campbell

In my city's business district is where I find these spools, I also pick up pallets to make furniture etc out of,you can use wood from broken down pallet for a large clock also, if you don't see them out by dumpsters or in the dumpster can go in an ask if they have any empty spools or pallets you can have, most places that sell wiring or cable will have them.

• Jacinta

Thank you Suzanne!

• Marilyn Kemery Miller

a lot of pallets and spools I have found around the factory where I work. they are usually disposing of a semi trailer per week of wooden pallets. If you know someone who works in a large factory then you will more than likely find everything you need to make these clocks. I also get scrap lumber that makes great craft projects. The scrap lumber comes in shipping boxes to stabilize the crates.

• Joanna

I built a similar clock but I'm having issues attaching the clock mechanism securely. How do you do that?

• Kellie Taylor

I've only used the spools to make clocks. The mechanism fits perfectly in the hole of the spool. When I drill a hole in the round metal piece that covers the mechanism and attach it to the mechanism, it is secure.

• Tracey

Could you post a picture of the back of the clock? And what you used to hang it. I can't wait to make one.

• Diane

I'd like to see that back, too, please!
  • Cristi Roe

I have such a spool awaiting a project. Getting the long connecting screws is tricky, any suggestions?

• Betty Sutton Smith

Beautiful clock !!! Are you going to fill in the circle in the middle of the clock???

• Joanie

Why did you place your numbers upside down? The entire numbers should be seen as upright as you look at them....