DIY Large Cable Spool Wall Clock

9 materials
I've always wanted one of those huge wall clocks, but they are so expensive. I've seen clocks made out of those big cable spools on Pinterest. I came across two of them and decided to make one.
They are very easy to take apart. They are put together with nuts and bolts.
I sanded them down really good. I decided to use the inside face of the spool. Then my husband and I bought some stain from Home Depot. The color we chose was Provincial. I made two at a time. One for me and one for my mom. I made hers a little darker.
Here it is after we sanded and stained it.
I wanted Roman numerals on my clock. I couldn't find any stencils, without having to order them. I bought a galvanized piece of sheet metal from Home Depot for $6. I used tin snips to cut 4" by 1/2" strips, for my numbers. I also bought furniture nails from Home Depot to attach the numbers to the clock.
I used my dad's protractor to cut circles big enough to cover the middle hole. That's also what the clock mechanism and hands attach to.
I spray painted the strips, circles, and tacks using Rustolem Hammered Black, purchased from Home Depot.
I had to order the clock hands and mechanism off ebay. They are the 14" clock hands with the high torque kit. Our clocks are 36" in diameter. They were $23 a piece. They were the most expensive piece of the project. The hardest part of this project, was trying to figure out where to put all the numbers! While my dad was doing geometry calculations, my mom and I googled it. Turns out, it was so simple! All you do is install the clock mechanism and hands first. It came with instructions. It was very easy. After that, you put your number twelve on, where you want it to be. Without the battery in, you set both hands on the "twelve." You then, turn the hands until you get to "3:00." You attach the three. Turn until you get to the six spot and attach it. Turn until you get to the 9 spot and attach it. Then turn it until you get to 1:00, 2:00, 4:00,5:00,7:00, 8:00, 10:00, and 11:00. The hour hand points to where it needs to go!
Here is my finished clock. I have not hung it up yet. I will make sure to hang it in a stud. It's pretty heavy. It works great! The whole project can be completed in a weekend.

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 14 questions

Comments

2 of 121 comments
Next