Yolanda W
Yolanda W
  • Grand Rapids, MI

A Den make over need help :(

Bernice HMiriam IYolanda W
+3

well, my mother home is an old michigan home, but very nice. It sit on a cornor, so lots of space, L-shape. here is the issues, her den is in great need of a make over. wall paper has been on the wall for about (whoa!) ten years or more to where is buckles. she has a sofa, loveseat, chair, tv w/stand, & a desk, not much room to enjoy,plus a book cases that r falling at the sides. I need a color to match an older woman in her 70"s and her set N ways. U can enter the den through the dinning rm or the kitchen(2) doors size well it's about 7ft by6, ? help, i will listen to anyone. i do have some ideas, to which i will disclose later okay thanks :)
  • 3po3

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but are you sure your mother wants to makeover her den? I only ask because you note she is set in her ways. Anyhow, if so, is there anywhere to move the desk and/or bookcases. Also, does she really need the sofa, loveseat and chair? how often are they all occupied? To give you more advice, I think it would help to see the room. Can you post photos or even a quick and dirty sketch of the layout.

• Miriam I

Perhaps you can find out what color she likes, show her some examples and have her choose a few. Painting the walls will probably make a tremendous difference.

• Bernice H

Yolanda, I am with Steve on this..make sure down to the inch what she is willing to do or change. As for colors , look through her clothing or knick knacks for colors to find what she likes and then ask if it is something she would like on the walls. Speaking from experience, and Steve might be too, set in their ways is hard to change, they may think they want to, but the whole experience becomes overwhelming and fatiguing just thinking about it. Do let us know how it progresses, I hope you are successful!

• Yolanda W

i really enjoy the comments sent 2 me, good advice mrs.B & steve. well we got the color together, blk & white. I found a book cases at the good will & painted it all black, it came out nice, also i will paint the desk the same. she did bring in some of her old gold items, Hummm :) anyway pic's R coming. thanks again :)

• Miriam I

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing them!

• Bernice H

Yep, me too! She is pretty gutsy doing black and white, cool! And what are the accents, besides gold?? We will try to be patient waiting for the big "reveal".....,.