ceiling fans

Becky HWalter ReevesWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+2

is it true mosquitoes and love bugs do like moving air that comes from ceiling fans..I have a front entry that attracts mosquitoes and love bugs and I thinking of putting a outdoor ceiling with light and keeping the fan running to keep away the bugs any ideas? thanks
  • KMS Woodworks

mosquitoes are attracted to CO2, moisture and body temps for starts...lactic acid is also in there. I don't think fan is going to help much. http://www.allmosquitos.com/what-attracts-mosquitos/what-attracts-mosquitoes.html

• Chrissi

I don't know for certain but I can tell you that recently I was at a B&B in Alabama & the first night there was a nice breeze blowing & I was able to sit outside until almost midnight w/out the 1st mosquito biting me & trust me they LOVE me! The next night there was no breeze & I tried to sit outside in the same spot & they ate me alive ! The only difference was the breeze. It seems like it's worth a try, but being that I'm a Native Floridian when I was growing up in Florida we used to say that mosquitoes are really the state bird ! LOL!

• I know that flies do not like moving air. We use lots of fans in the barn and that helps a lot. Also Mosquitoes are drawn to Co2 and I think that the air movement will disturb the Co2 around the area lowering the amount of bites one would receive, however it will not stop them completely.

• Walter Reeves

In my experience, fans are great for keeping bugs at bay.

• Becky H

Walter, you and I have had the same experience!