Wendy W
Wendy W
  • Milford, OH

Creating a Creek Stone Patio & Fire Pit

My husband took advantage of this flat area in our mainly sloped back yard at the edge of the woods. What was once unused space is now the perfect spot to de-stress with friends around a fire. You can check out more on my blog at http://designedtodwell.blogspot.com/2012/07/creating-outdoor-fire-pit.html. Thanks!
Then he dug a trench & installed the french drain (basically a pipe with holes in the top that collects water & channels it where you want it to go) & covered it with gravel.  Then he added a timber retaining wall.
Then he dug a trench & installed the french drain (basically a pipe with holes in the top that collects water & channels it where you want it to go) & covered it with gravel. Then he added a timber retaining wall.
Next, he built the fire pit from pavers.  (A brochure at the store gave directions, dimensions, & told how many pavers we would need.)  Then he added the creek stone & filled the gaps in with pea gravel.
Next, he built the fire pit from pavers. (A brochure at the store gave directions, dimensions, & told how many pavers we would need.) Then he added the creek stone & filled the gaps in with pea gravel.
The stairs were made with fallen trees & gravel & placed where the ground naturally stepped down.
Creek stone patio, fire pit, landscaping timber retaining wall
Fire Pit
Fire Pit
Fire Pit with timber retaining wall
Fire Pit with timber retaining wall
First my husband leveled out the area.
First my husband leveled out the area.

• Barbara Coppola

Great job!!

• Robert Snow

Love the idea . I have a spot just right for this . We couldn't put ours this close to the woods , fire codes wouldn't allow it . I may incorporate the idea though , thanks !!