Pamela R
Pamela R
  • Schenectady, NY

Create a flower planter from an old tire!

My future father-in-law came up with this brilliant idea over 20 years ago to cut and flip an old tire inside out and use it as a gorgeous planter!
You can check out more pictures and see the full tutorial on my blog, Pink Hammers & Sippy Cups! http://www.pinkhsc.com/2012/07/tire-planter.html
Tire Flower Planters
Tire Flower Planters
create a flower planter from an old tire, flowers, gardening, repurposing upcycling
Cutting the tire
Cutting the tire
Inside of the tire once it has been flipped

• Irma y cortes

how do yuo flipped?

• D.t4548933

What do you put on the bottom of the tire to keep the dirt in the pot?

• Lori

My grandparents had a couple of these in their yard circa 1970. Theirs were car tire size and painted white. The planters were very heavy at that size and full of dirt they weren't going anywhere--a bottom wasn't necessary. With smaller tires it looks like a terra cotta planter saucer slightly larger than the hole would work. Thanks, Pamela R.--this brought back memories!

• Dechen Cho

What kind of knife did you use? It's so hard to cut the tire.

• Cheryl Markus Reynolds

Thank you for the memories. :-) Back in the 70s, my uncle use to make these as well. Had a few around his yard. He'd use the metal wheel as a pedestal. Even had one made from a huge tractor tire.

• Jan Smith Lardner

So than you are aware... you need to use Bias ply Tires to do this. todays radial tires are too stiff to work with.

• Byg4283219

Now you tell us...lol! Thought I was a wimp for not being strong enough to flip the radials.